Rookie to Wyoming

Congrats !!
Crock pot an antelope butt roast. Cut up onion mushrooms potatoes celery . Add big can of mushroom soup and top with water. You have to have french bread to dip in the soup. Butter or not. Haven't met a person yet that didn't like it. Burger good for Chile and spaghetti .

Congrats !!
Crock pot an antelope butt roast. Cut up onion mushrooms potatoes celery . Add big can of mushroom soup and top with water. You have to have french bread to dip in the soup. Butter or not. Haven't met a person yet that didn't like it. Burger good for Chile and spaghetti .
I like the sound of this!!

The
This will be my first hunting trip out west and will be hunting pronghorn. I'm used to the row crop fields and hollers in Missouri. I've read a lot about cactus of some sort and getting needles in your hands and knees from stalking. What's everyone's recommendation for leather gloves? I'd like something not big and bulky as close to your typical early season lightweight hunting glove. Thanks in advance for any input.
They won't stop cactus spines but the goatskin shooting gloves from Firstlite are the best gloves I've ever worn!

This will be my first hunting trip out west and will be hunting pronghorn. I'm used to the row crop fields and hollers in Missouri. I've read a lot about cactus of some sort and getting needles in your hands and knees from stalking. What's everyone's recommendation for leather gloves? I'd like something not big and bulky as close to your typical early season lightweight hunting glove. Thanks in advance for any input.
Any light weight leather gloves will protect your hands but if are rifle hunting and you can shoot 300-400 yards you won't need to stalk much. What you really need to deal with Antelope is some rubber gloves to touch them and field dress them. I'd suggest something like the AMMEX Medical Indigo Nitrile Gloves. Keep a few in your backpack. When you smell them you'll understand why I suggest this. That smell will stay on your hands for a week afterwards. Now, their meat doesn't smell odd but their hair and horns do. Kinda goatie. Every one I ever killed either in Arizona or Wyoming had about the same funky smell. You're gonna get hooked on it once you do it. There is something special about hunting the open plains and seeing game constantly. It reminds me of hunting South Africa.

Well, our trip to Wyoming was a blast. We had a few run ins with the cactus (when I forgot to put on gloves or watched where I put my hands,lol). My dad, brother and myself filled our tags on pronghorn. It was a trip to remember, we hope to go back sometime. Thanks for all the replies, it's definitely a different world out there compared to Missouri.

Really glad you guys had a great time and a successful hunt!

Speedgoat makes pretty good sausage (pre-seasoned). Some folks think sausage is pretty much all it is good for and don't even like the tenderloin or the back straps very much (Elk will spoil you). They think sausage is what it's for, but you need to mix it though. 1 of 3 parts each of Elk or Mulie and Beef using what ever parts you like least of each and add fat.

A caution on our rattlers, they are more venomous per gram of venom.

For me it's high lineman boots, tight pigskin roping/fencing gloves with a trigger finger slit. A light folding stool and tripod. Use terrain, wind, a flat shooting cartridge, and a high power scope to read the wind/mirage. Always wear white somewhere, white hat or shirt and bring a white bag to tie in the brush as a lure. Speedgoats think its a strange goat that needs investigating.

Oh yeah and try to stay off yer knees and belly, everything really is trying to bite you or stick you. I bet the ants and ground hornets send as many people to the ER as anything else. Be sure to bring Benadryl for anaphylaxis.

BTW come on back every chance you get!

It may sound odd, but I wear golf gloves. They fit me great and I can use my fingers.

Really glad you guys had a great time and a successful hunt!

Speedgoat makes pretty good sausage (pre-seasoned). Some folks think sausage is pretty much all it is good for and don't even like the tenderloin or the back straps very much (Elk will spoil you). They think sausage is what it's for, but you need to mix it though. 1 of 3 parts each of Elk or Mulie and Beef using what ever parts you like least of each and add fat.

A caution on our rattlers, they are more venomous per gram of venom.

For me it's high lineman boots, tight pigskin roping/fencing gloves with a trigger finger slit. A light folding stool and tripod. Use terrain, wind, a flat shooting cartridge, and a high power scope to read the wind/mirage. Always wear white somewhere, white hat or shirt and bring a white bag to tie in the brush as a lure. Speedgoats think its a strange goat that needs investigating.

Oh yeah and try to stay off yer knees and belly, everything really is trying to bite you or stick you. I bet the ants and ground hornets send as many people to the ER as anything else. Be sure to bring Benadryl for anaphylaxis.

BTW come on back every chance you get!
Thank you, I can't wait to come back and chase them again.

Make some of these,duct tape and painters foam worth their weight in gold

Attachments

• IMG_2524.JPG
    IMG_2524.JPG
    949.6 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_2525.JPG
    IMG_2525.JPG
    945.8 KB · Views: 113
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.