Areas to Hunt Antelope in Wyoming

GonzoK34

I have a post seeking information for hunting antelope in the general discussion forum you can review to clarify my research.

I have looked at areas:
48,47, 46, 42, 17, 23, 26, 29

So far I've found that there is limited public land access, and or, restrictions that limit access to my disabled buddies. We're not looking for game tied to a post, we can hike some distance. We're all capable long range shooters (1000yds). We're
MARINES.

Any suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Thank You,
GONZO
SEMPER FIDELIS

I dont want to take over this tread. but i would love some help here also. Its tough for me to come down and figure things out from up here in kodiak. Plus being military family things can be tight and air far is very costly. So any info for a first timer would be greatfully excepted..

Thanks to all for the info

You lookin to pay a guide or a trespass fee? You camping or moteling it?

48,47,46,42,17,23,26,29 ???? The stats dont show the whole story here...The areas you are looking at have very limited public acsess and when the shootin starts they head for the privet in a hurry=guides and traspass fee's!! The north end of 47 aint bad but the goats there are born spookie and never outgrow it. You could cirtainly fill a tag in these areas but your gonna have to work a whole lot harder than 32= Lots of HMA and BLM and 73= Lots of BLM.
The last few winters have been very mild and the #s high all over, that can change drasticly with one hard winter!

MachV,

It will be a DIY, no guide, no trespass fees, and we'll be tent camping. We're Disabled Vietnam Marine Corps Combat Infantry Veterans. So we're a little banged up. I'm the most able bodied of the bunch. I'm also the lowest ranking. My brother is a Master Sergeant, my buddy is a Gunny Sergeant, and I'm a Sergeant . so this make's me the 'HOUSE MOUSE' of this FIRETEAM.. We have lots of years of hunting experience for big game. Mostly elk, deer, javelina, and coyotes.
I agree with you on the areas I'm considering. It's 1:51AM here. Alpine, Calif. East of San Diego. But I will take a look at those areas after I send this reply.

Zkodiak, No problem this should benefits us both, as well as others on this forum who are in need of information. "THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE". Are you with the "Teams" out of Coronado, Ca.? If so, Senior Chief Tim King is my neighbor. If you need help email me.

Thank you MachV
GONZO
SEMPER FIDELIS

I have hunted Unit 32 and most of the 70's units from the Alcova Reservoir or Grey Reef Reservoir campgrounds. Price for camping is $7 per night per "unit". A unit is a tent or trailer. If you have three tents that is $21 per night which is expensive.

Wind blows very hard and you will need tarps to wrap around the structure so you can cook. Drinking water can be had at the trailer park campground at $0.10 a gallon.

There are some free BLM campsites along the North Platte River but you will have to figure out how to wind proof your camp.

Fishing license in Wy are expensive so check the price out before hand. Game wardens are plentiful and everywhere. Stay legal at all times.

Expect the weather to do what ever you are not prepared for. Blazing hot freezing cold, rain, sleet, snow. If you have tire chains throw them in the truck with a shovel and that will be a good luck charm to ward off thunderstorms when you are out on the gumbo two track far from pavement.

Some pictures of my camps at Alcova

Alcova093.jpg

Alcova092.jpg

Another thing is that it costs about $90-$100 to have a commercial butcher cut and freeze your antelope. A good Coleman extreme cooler and $15 of dry ice will freeze up an boned out antelope. Save money and plan on butchering and bagging everything your self. Dry ice is available at Albertsons in Casper right across the street form Rocky Mountain Discount sports which is a good store to hunting gear.

gonzok34...thanks but my wife is the one that is in. She is a e6 and we are uscg 12 years and more to come. Right now she is underway for a while. So i stay home and deal with my boys. i fish on a charter boat buring the summer and my oldest has adhd and we finally got it under controol with out MEDS last year. so having to show up to school for him everyday didnt let me work. Now im trying to get him back on track with his grades. his future is the most inportant thing to us as my other son so they ALWAYS COME FIRST as should in any family..

To everyone helping thanks the cheapest the better i have a hard enough time explaining to the wife the cost just for the tags..

Always questioned BB wanting to camp along the river as its a natural wind tunnel, I bougt a house a block from the river??? You can camp anywhere on BLM for free but State land is a no-no, just find a spot out of the wind. His advice on a shovel,chains and coolers(a goat will bone out into a couple of 2gallon freezer bags) is very spot on, rain/wet snow can shut the backroads down in a hurry but if patient they also dry out fairly fast.
Spent the last 1/2 of 06 and 07 in rehab after getting in the middle of a fight between a 400 ton truck body and a 50 ton crane=I lost! With a little help from friends I was able to fill deer/goat tags left handed useing my walker/crutches for shooting sticks.
Back to tags, areas 21,25,30,31,70,71 and 72 have had tags available the last couple of seasons right to closeing in some cases. 73 and 32 are good draw areas as they offer a lot of public land to roam on.
If you find yourself in the Casper area I'd be **** proud to help.

I will be there next year if i get a tag. These last two years i have missed hunting season's for the wife has been underway so my hunting season was to raise the boys.. life should be good next and my hunting season's i hope will be back to normal.

BB, MACHV,

I settled on areas 63, and 21 for 2011. Thank you for all your help.

BB, does your toyota have a V6, your pushing quite a sail up on the roof.

MACHV, appreciate your advise.

zkodiak, hope to see you as well. good luck.

Greatly appreciate communicating with everyone on LRH.

GONZO
SEMPER FIDELIS

Remember that the doe tags are cheap compared to buck tags and are a sure thing to draw for most units. You can even apply in a different unit than the buck tag.

You should try one of the areas in the south west of the state. There is alot of blm. The tags my take a few more points to get but it worth the wait. There isn't anything that is worse then seeing the buck you want and having to wait and hope he comes to the ranch you can hunt on. If you get a tag in 57-60 or 90-96 pm me and I will help you get started in the right direction. I know its easy to get tags in those areas but there is a reason. Its hard to find public land to hunt on.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.