Ron Spomer - Hammer Interview

I'm still shooting cup and core bullets to practice with, but all my hunting rifles are set up for Hammers. had turrets made for all. I'm a believer.
My daughters practice ammo is 123 SMK's in her 6.5x47L and the 124 HH's have the same POI as far as she's going to shoot anyway.

So let's stay on track with the video going forward. before this turns into another crash and burn.
By the way, thanks for the video. I sent it to my dad who hasn't heard of Hammers and when I would talk about them to him all I'd get was a "huh, like a Barnes?". He likes watching Spomer and this was perfect for an explaination. He hasn't been in the shooting/reloading game for a while now so only gets his latest info from magazines and such.

I plan on trying the .358 140SH in my .357Max. It could be a really nice uptick for it.

Edit added: Has anyone tried this bullet in Max yet?

Last edited:
Not a big fan of most "gun writers" but glad that hammer is getting the exposure. Just placed an order because now everyone is going to want them. Grabbed the .452 for my 450 Bushmaster bolt gun. I'm thinking the local deer herd are going to have an adverse reaction.
I used to write for some mags as a hobby but dropped it when it stopped becoming fun (and I lacked time). I went on a few varmint hunts with Spomer-that guy is hilarious. Before I went on a few writer's hunts with him I did run into him in Smithers BC when I was on a moose hunt. I still chat with him now and then.

I will say this about Ron: when other writers were kicked back drinking beers after shooting PDs all day, he was shooting groups with the various ammo and guns supplied for us while I took notes. He does his homework.

It is a fine video and Hammers are fine bullets. Im glad Steve explained their concept well.

I'm not sure I fully grasp the Hammer bullet performance concept. It is fine. I'm more than willing to try on game. Heck, I tried Bergers…twice.

I also want to pursue The Barnes LRX. Mostly, I want to see it's performance on game. It is a bit more traditional in how it works.