ROKON TRAILBREAKER BIKE

I've owned an older rokon with no front suspension and now I have a 2010 scout. I love it but it's a complicated situation. First of all don't buy one without the front suspension. Unless you don't like all your teeth. I've run a few TW's, Yamaha big wheels, fat bike, atv's of course, and even electric fat bikes on all sorts of hunts. Rokons really have a very specific use that makes them stand out. And that is very rugged terrain single track access or cross country that any fat bike, electric or not, tw, Yamaha big wheel would have no business whatsoever attempting with elk/camp. They will crawl up literally anything you put in front of them, with an elk, in the snow. I know I've been there. But the previous posts are right, they are painfully slow and if you like riding motos they will be torturous. But I have hill climbed slopes/trails in them with 6 days camp, 3 quarters of an elk, combo meat bag, and a rag horn rack in one trip that I wouldn't even consider on any other type of moto. After hiking hard all day they are a joy to come back to. (Picture a grown man hugging a Rokon) They are rugged and meant for backcountry use with simple mechanics that can be worked on in the field. Been there done that as well. They do well in the snow for a moto but of course have their limitations. Chains help. I do love camping off them cuz I bring pretty much a car camping setup. Hot tent, camp chair, and a bottle of whiskey if needs be:) So much fun to hunt off of…but they are unique in there application. If you have roads, you'll be happier on a TW, if you wanna go where no sane fella goes on a moto, buy a Rokon. And hold on for dear life;-)
Yep, I'd like to keep what I got left of my sanity.
Thanks for your help.

They last for about 25-30 miles so that would be a couple days for me. I'll buy an extra battery and slide it in when needed if I'm solo camping or if not, I have a generator at my trailer so just plug in when I return every night. Couple hours on the recharge and you can charge both at the same time your charging the camper batteries.
That's solid advice.
What bike do you use?
I'm thinking about using a bike trailer too.

For the small sum of $17,500…. There's this AWD solution….

Ha!!

As others Ive had fat cat, packed out many a elk.TW 200 used as shuttle rafting mostly, best for longer rides.But if its real rough and steep and you want to get there Rokon. I road my fat cat down this small trail with lots of boulders, then thunder storm and it took me three tries and riding a wheelie to get back out.Mine 4 stroke and I may up grade for the front suspension ,but it for slow going for me and shorter distances.
IMG_2572.jpeg

As others Ive had fat cat, packed out many a elk.TW 200 used as shuttle rafting mostly, best for longer rides.But if its real rough and steep and you want to get there Rokon. I road my fat cat down this small trail with lots of boulders, then thunder storm and it took me three tries and riding a wheelie to get back out.Mine 4 stroke and I may up grade for the front suspension ,but it for slow going for me and shorter distances.View attachment 443445
That looks like a nice setup.

As others Ive had fat cat, packed out many a elk.TW 200 used as shuttle rafting mostly, best for longer rides.But if its real rough and steep and you want to get there Rokon. I road my fat cat down this small trail with lots of boulders, then thunder storm and it took me three tries and riding a wheelie to get back out.Mine 4 stroke and I may up grade for the front suspension ,but it for slow going for me and shorter distances.View attachment 443445
Do you recall what your trailer setup is called?

For the same money you can purchase a Honda Pioneer 500cc Side by Side that is only 50" wide and I bet considering the handlebars the Rokon isn't much narrower. The Pioneer would be waaaaaaay more versatile and could carry and tow a heck of a lot more gear and a moose to boot.

I see the Rokon as a poorly designed gadget that doesn't even have a true motorcycle engine. It looks like some guy built it in his garage with a lawn mower engine. The poor speed it makes for all the noise it makes is kind of ridiculous too.

I've always been intrigued with the Trailbreaker being simple and 2 wheel drive. As a kid, we rode totegoats and Honda trail 90s.
It seems like the Rokon is on steroids.
I've been hunting in some steep areas with really narrow roads and sharp drop offs. I like that I could squeeze by another truck.
Can anybody who has used a Rokon comment on the good and bad? Good in snow?
Is there trailer solid snd easy yo tow?
How easy is the upkeep?
Easy to get parts?
Is a used machine a solid investment or will I inherit problems?
A helmet would be a yes.
I have not been on one in almost 50 years, but in '74 I was helping an ag missionary in the jungles of Panama and he had one there— I loved it and tried to find one when I came home but they were very rare— It would go anywhere and was a blast to ride— It was not fast but faster than walking-

I looked at the Rokon, but it didn't have suspension. It looks the same as the 1950 model. I ended up with a Chinese minibike called the Trailmaster MB 200. Before Bidenflation it was $1000. Even with front and rear suspension and ATV tires, it can be a rough ride. I can't imagine what it would be like without suspension. One plus is that on a two track road you can avoid most of the rocks. I've only found one road I couldn't go up. Mixed sand and rock and and steep enough I worried about going over backwards. I put a much larger sproket on it which gave it pretty good climbing power. My biggest complaint is the noise. It is a lawn mower engine with a lawn mower muffler.. I plan to modify that. On a fairly smooth two track it is a blast to ride. On a steep rocky hill, not so much, but much better than walking. It had a fake gas tank to make it look like a motorcycle, so I took it off and made a rack in front of me to hold my pack. I made a spare gas can out of an old fire extinguisher, but I've never needed it. Lot of videos on You Tube to show you the modifications you can make. Of course I added a scabbard for my rifle or shotgun. Also LED lights instead of the big headlight. I added storage boxes, and better mud flaps. It isn't fast, but if you're hunting, you don't want fast. Top end with the big sprocket is 25 mph. If you're hunting high altitude (10,000 or up) you'd want to change the jet in the carburator. It works at 10,000, but with a noticable loss of power. It is rated for 200 lbs, so it wouldn't work for a big guy.

Attachments

• 45DA1748-81D4-483E-A3D2-98F35BC1A590.jpeg
    45DA1748-81D4-483E-A3D2-98F35BC1A590.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 30