Rocky or Danner

Thanks for y'all help. Decided on these. Fit and comfort were awesome.
You will be very happy with those boots.Those Irish Setter Elk Trackers are the best boots I have ever owned myself.I wore them when I was working and still have a pair.I worked around salt water for over 30yrs and my boots got wet everyday.Those boots never leaked and my feet always stayed dry.The soles and the laces were the only thing I ever wore out and that usually took awhile.Stay away from those glued on soles,once they start breaking loose from the leather foot,they become a bowl and your feet will get wet.
elk tracker boots.jpg

Where in South Louisiana are you hunting that you need a hard sole boot like those? I live in S LA and usually wear LL Bean's Maine hunting shoe. Most guys are wearing Muck boots for very wet conditions. The quality of Danner and Rocky has plummeted in the last 25 years. For my CO hunting, I've had better success with Lowa. Good luck! Good boots are vital! BTW, I'm 6'1" and go 225, so I appreciate needing a solid footing.

Good luck. I have worn a pair of pronghorn at least 15yrs no break in . Absolutely the most comfortable boot I've ever had. Thought I would try a pair of elk tracker and they are horrible! There is stitching on the inside that will eat your foot up. Mine are thrown in the corner and I'm still wearing those pronghorn. Maybe yours will be okay.

I used to wear the Danner Pronghorn while hunting in the mountains of Idaho. I never had them leak, but they would only last 1 to 2 years. The 800g Ins. ones are roughly $290 and I could bet either the Rocky or Danner boots will last maybe 2 yrs in a S. Louisiana wet environment.
I bought a pair of Kenetrek ins. and a pair of uninsulated years ago. Both have paid for themselves vs. the cost of replacing the pronghorn boots 3 or 4 times over now and they just get more comfortable. I have only used the uninsulated pair the last 3 years, all year long, just changing the weight of sock with the colder temps.
I'd look at a Muck style boot made for whitetail hunting. The LaCrosse Alphaburly Pro is $240 and if your not hiking mountains would probably be an excellent hunting boot. But....I've never set foot in LA so take it for what its worth.

I recommend Danners and have many years of experience wearing them. My pronghorns are super comfortable. I wore the Ft Lewis 10 inch Danner in the military and must say they stood up well.....I do think you some of their stuff made overseas can be hit or miss. I have several pairs of their hiking boots that have been bulletproof.......love me some danners!

I have the Rocky Elk Stalker 1,000g insulation. There is a 400g version also.

Amazing boot for all day hunting. Very comfortable and great traction in the mud or loose stuff.

Not that it matters but are also a great looking all leather boot.

BA_rocky_mens_waterproof_10inch_1000_gram_elk_stalker_boots_brown__2158337-P__.jpg

I recommend Danners and have many years of experience wearing them. My pronghorns are super comfortable. I wore the Ft Lewis 10 inch Danner in the military and must say they stood up well.....I do think you some of their stuff made overseas can be hit or miss. I have several pairs of their hiking boots that have been bulletproof.......love me some danners!
I had the 10" ft. lewis and 8" Danner Acadia for work in both cases I had issues in the place just above my heel digging in there. The sole on them are too soft being a larger guy. Too spongy. They weren't very forgiving getting them on either. I got the Lowa and meindl black military for work and never looked back. Solid platform very sturdy well built. Thick leather and rubber rand.

I would have suggested those if you had mentioned RedWing or Irish Setter. I have a pair of the uninsulated ones and they are really comfortable. But I don't like mountains or hiking with load in them.

Boot fit really depends on the individual's feet, one brand/style definitely won't work for everyone.

Curious why the 800g insulation for south Louisiana?

I do have to say Lowa and meindl know how to make boots. The tread on the Lowa seems a little softer than the meindl as the sole wore down quicker on the Lowa and meindl look like they haven't been worn at all after a couple years use.
8E107FCA-D7CC-4362-BC7B-0B37EB960723.jpeg
B38E2A27-0AAC-4E40-83BB-6A171521BB11.jpeg
5D75CFD7-AB9D-421A-836A-AADA229BEED5.jpeg

Danner. Stopped buying rocky (made in chyna) crap. Just take care of the leather on danners. Pronghorn 1000g 10". Don't wear very much but their fairly solid. Not like my crispi or Lowa or meindl but good.
The Danner Pronghorn is also made in China. Their US made boots are likely as good as Crispi and Lowa.

Franks boots Simply can't go wrong. Custom fit. You can have them resoled and rebuilt. Insulation can be added to them (thinsulate). Treat the leather with whatever barrier you choose. But they're made to fit your feet. And made here in the USA.

Last edited: