Rocky or Danner

The Danner Pronghorn is also made in China. Their US made boots are likely as good as Crispi and Lowa.
I would agree with that in terms of the craftsmanship and leather but the soles on damners are plain soft and break down too quick. Just my opinion but that soft spongy bottom just doesn't do it fur me. Crispis have an excellent sole and midsole. Crispi, Lowa, meindl and schnees all use the polyurethane midsole which is longer lasting than EVA midsole or the spong that danners use. They also last under heavier weight and rebound during each step better.

I started out with Rocky's, could not get more than a year out of a pair. And their customer service was lousy.Switched to Danner Pronghorn, I absolutely loved that boot but found they did not last more than 3 years, even with religious Sno Seal treatments. The last two pair of boots I bought were Kenetrek mountain extremes. Going on 7 years now and they still look almost new. My next pair will be the Kenetrek work boots. Don't think I'll ever buy another hunting boot that isn't Kenetrek.
These boots are properly gonna outlast me!

Need some help between the Danner Pronghorn or Rocky stalker. Both with 800g insulation. South Louisiana so going to be wet a lot. Needing lace ups. 6'4" 250 lbs.
I have never had a pair of Rockys that didn't have the heal separate and make a popping noise. I have had several pairs of Danners of various styles, including the Pronghorns. They served me well for years. Best boots for comfort and durability have been Kennetreks.

I would agree with that in terms of the craftsmanship and leather but the soles on damners are plain soft and break down too quick. Just my opinion but that soft spongy bottom just doesn't do it fur me. Crispis have an excellent sole and midsole. Crispi, Lowa, meindl and schnees all use the polyurethane midsole which is longer lasting than EVA midsole or the spong that danners use. They also last under heavier weight and rebound during each step better.
A Vibram Montagna soft and spongy? You did say "midsole". My Super Rainforests have not been soft or spongy. I have no idea what they use for a midsole, but on the Super Rainforest the outsole is a Vibram Montagna. Most of the outsoles made by Danner specifically say that they are for grip and are not as long lasting as other soles, and a lot of their boots come with Vibram outsoles which are extremely durable.

I don't have any experience with Crispi, Lowa or Schnees. My wife has some a Meindl boots that are quite good, but she doesn't hike all that much.

I'd be the first to say that my Super Rainforests do not have a super stiff midsole as they were of about medium flex from the beginning, but after putting about 1250 miles on my first pair(I work in them) my second pair was equally flexible within about two weeks, so it was sort of a light break-in and then a pretty steady end result. I'm also a major fan my Red Wing Super Loggers, except they're heavy, and I don't like the tall logger heel. After wearing out the outsole, I resoled with a Montagna instead of a Logger, and like them better, but they are still heavy. They are a much stiffer boot than the Danner Super Rainforest, and come with a heavier insulated option, but I like the Super Rainforest better, so I just wear thicker socks. I don't know if Danner makes a good climbing boot, but as a hunting or approach boot, I think they are pretty darn good, and last a long time.

Because I put so many miles on boots, I'm only interested in a stitch down boot that is readily resole-able. Anything that is molded on and/or has a rand is out for me. Not for performance purposes but for longevity purposes. The same goes for nylon panels or tongues. For me it's 100% leather and a stitch down construction or I'm out. If Redwing still made the Super Logger in the US, and offered a non-metallic toe, I'd probably buy another pair and resole with a Montagna right out the gate.

I'm about to send my first pair of Super Rainforests in for a recrafting(around 2000 miles on them) and when I get them back, I'll send in my second pair which has about 1000 miles on them.

I have about 2500 miles on my RedWing Super Loggers and they are barely into the resole. The leather and hardware my have a slight edge on Danner, but they are very heavy, and the metallic toe is cold in spite of their superior insulation. Craftsmanship was probably no better than equal to Danner. I think that Danner and RedWing both makes some really great boots at their top end.

I've only been wearing my boots every day for about five years. Prior to that i only hunted in my boots, and good boots lasted essentially forever.

Last edited:
A Vibram Montagna soft and spongy? You did say "midsole". My Super Rainforests have not been soft or spongy. I have no idea what they use for a midsole, but on the Super Rainforest the outsole is a Vibram Montagna. Most of the outsoles made by Danner specifically say that they are for grip and are not as long lasting as other soles, and a lot of their boots come with Vibram outsoles which are extremely durable.

I don't have any experience with Crispi, Lowa or Schnees. My wife has some a Meindl boots that are quite good, but she doesn't hike all that much.

I'd be the first to say that my Super Rainforests do not have a super stiff midsole as they were of about medium flex from the beginning, but after putting about 1250 miles on my first pair(I work in them) my second pair was equally flexible within about two weeks, so it was sort of a light break-in and then a pretty steady end result. I'm also a major fan my Red Wing Super Loggers, except they're heavy, and I don't like the tall logger heel. After wearing out the outsole, I resoled with a Montagna instead of a Logger, and like them better, but they are still heavy. They are a much stiffer boot than the Danner Super Rainforest, and come with a heavier insulated option, but I like the Super Rainforest better, so I just wear thicker socks. I don't know if Danner makes a good climbing boot, but as a hunting or approach boot, I think they are pretty darn good, and last a long time.

Because I put so many miles on boots, I'm only interested in a stitch down boot that is readily resole-able. Anything that is molded on and/or has a rand is out for me. Not for performance purposes but for longevity purposes. The same goes for nylon panels or tongues. For me it's 100% leather and a stitch down construction or I'm out. If Redwing still made the Super Logger in the US, and offered a non-metallic toe, I'd probably buy another pair and resole with a Montagna right out the gate.

I'm about to send my first pair of Super Rainforests in for a recrafting(around 2000 miles on them) and when I get them back, I'll send in my second pair which has about 1000 miles on them.

I have about 2500 miles on my RedWing Super Loggers and they are barely into the resole. The leather and hardware my have a slight edge on Danner, but they are very heavy, and the metallic toe is cold in spite of their superior insulation. Craftsmanship was probably no better than equal to Danner. I think that Danner and RedWing both makes some really great boots at their top end.

I've only been wearing my boots every day for about five years. Prior to that i only hunted in my boots, and good boots lasted essentially forever.
Rain Forrest's are new to me but my mention was the ft Lewis or Acadia. The outsole by vibram yes are durable but some are different hardness compared to other based off of the customers requests. Some customers that manufacture boots have vibram alter the hardness depending on the customers needs. My old Danners would wear out within a year were the tread (outsole) is bald and I work with others that wear them out in half that time. My Lowa and meindl outsoles last much longer and my meindl army pro show no sign of wear after two years of work. Now the midsole on the ft Lewis and Acadia is basically a foam pad tht the outsole is fixed to and from experience it is very soft and when walking through water acts as a sponge. It absorbs water when walking through it and when your on dry ground it pushes out on every step through compression from body weight. Comfortable, yes they are and I love my pronghorns too.

Question though. Are the super rain forests similar to the quarry boots they made? I was gonna try out the quarry boots by Danner.

I did have a pair of rocky eliminators. After a couple years of use I was at work one night 3rd shift at the time and noticed a three inch split in the leather along the sole and the the same thing on the other side on the other boot. Right in the leather like someone had took a knife to them. Never had a pair since.

Need some help between the Danner Pronghorn or Rocky stalker. Both with 800g insulation. South Louisiana so going to be wet a lot. Needing lace ups. 6'4" 250 lbs.
Rocky has a reputation for making excllent uppers. However, they have no knowledge about how to make boot soles that wear well, or how to attach uppers to the soles. Starting with original Cornstalkers 20 years ago, every single pair of Rockys my family has bought had the soles disintegrate within 1-2 years, and/or separate from the uppers, begin leaking. Sent original two pairs of Cornstalkers in for warranty/repair when the soles crumbled and disintegrated. Rocky graciously sent boots back with two sets of new soles...UNATTACHED to the boots......now DIY boot kits......no Cobbler Training included. How were we to remove original soles and attach new soles to uppers?? DUH moment. Sent the boots backs, Rocky attached new soles, returned.......as the now wettest waterproof boots on the planet. Next pair of Rocky's best, kost expensive offerings (don't recall the model name any longer) of waterproof, maybe 2000gm heavy winter hunting boots were enjoyed one deer season, placed in hunting room closet (controlled temp/humidity...my house!!) with other manufacturers' boots. When pulled out for next deer season, soles were crumbling on Rocky boots, not their competitors' boots. Contacted Rocky. No warranty or remedy....they were over one year old!!!!! After several more issues with Rocky boots with no satisfaction from Rocky, we banned Rocky products from our 3800 acre playground. Show up with Rocky products, go home, no admittance. Never bought a Rocky product again, never will.

Now for Danner.......NEVER HAVE HAD ANY ISSUES WITH DANNER!!! GREAT products.

With that said, your money, your choice....