Rock chucks with 107 smk

Shot several gophers with them from a 6 br and many showed signs of great expansion. I think they would be a good choice for chucks.

Jeff

I can only use the 95 gr smk or 100 gr spbt because of my 9 1/8th twist. You didn't give a velocity or range, but smk's seem to come apart on impact if you have enough velocity. I launch the 95's and 100's at 3200 fps using superformance powder out of my 26 inch barrel. I'm also in the starting phase of 243 win and R-26 with those two bullets.

Well, an air rifle does a superb job on them so I'm pretty sure anything you got up to and including a hand thrown rock will turn the trick quite nicely. Only if you hit 'em though.

I've shot a bunch of chucks with the 107 SMK from a fast twist .243 WSSM, and a 6mm Dasher. The SMKs have a thick jacket, and expansion is erratic. Sometimes non-existant. Had much better results with the Berger 105 VLD hunting bullets. On the longer shots you'll get some crawlers from the 107 SMK's.

-Mike

Mike have you tried any of the 110 smk or 108 eld m or the 105 Amax

I've shot some of the 105 A-Maxes. They showed excellent expansion, but I was getting better accuracy from the Berger's. I haven't tried any 108's or 110's yet. I' have also shot quite a few chucks with the Berger 105 Hybrid. Pretty much the same performance as the 107 SMK. They seem to have a stout jacket too. Excellent accuracy though. My longest shot to date on a chuck has been with the 107 SMK (1017 yards) and it was a pencil hole right through. Fortunately in the perfect spot.

-Mike

Have shot more than a few from a 6AR at mv of 2650, pencilling through would be my best description.
The "end" was always instantaneous but without parts flying from PBR to past 600/700 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.