RL33, Retumbo, RL26, 8133 w/195’s

mk443

Just had Lane Precision rebarrel/make over my STW and a buddies with a 1-8.24 proof sendero 26 barrel (Full work is art!) I run Bertram brass and 215 primers. His reamer is set long for a 4 in mag box and I was running a coal of 3.92. All data done with Lab Radar.

I've had nothing but amazing luck with RL33 over the past 4 years and have never had temp issues with it in the mountains of WY at 7k. Yet with this being a new barrel/chamber I tried the above powders.

order by max speed-

RL26- pressured out the earliest for me at 2880 hard. Love this stuff in my other guns but it did not work at all in this combination.

8133- ran it up to 2950, good accuracy during testing, small extreme spreads at all charges. Really impressed with this powder.

Retumbo- 3020 for speed before started seeing pressure on the primers. Didn't see the consistency I wanted for accuracy during testing, but ran this with 180 hybrids with less jump and loved it for years.

RL33- winner again. Settled a little on the hot side at 82.5 GR @ 3098 average after a ladder found a big flat spot at 3080. Once on the flat spot my extreme spread went down to nothing and my groups went to a stacked hole. My previous barrel ran 80.1 @ 2940 and was at pressure. This barrel/set up let things keep climbing up!
I did play with 33 the most as I have a great history with it in temps down to -15 and up to 70 degrees.

Find some Vit N570 You will get what you are after.

jjw
ND

I got exactly what I was after but I do agree with you that n570 is the true speed king. I just don't want to get hooked on a powder that is that rare to find and that expensive to gain The extra speed. I had the goal of 3000-3050 with the 195 in a 26 tube and I got it and then some and have some 8lb jugs enroute already!

May try some RL33 in mine. Do anyone use RL26 and seen that its temperature sensitive or temperature insensitive? My rifle did well with RL26 and was just wondering.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.