195 gn Bergers

Will that extended box fit my stiller predator action? If it does, I think that would increase my performance quite a bit.

It would probably have to be installed by a smith to relieve a bit of room. Thats what my smith is doing.

I was only able to get 2960 fps with rl33 and a 195 brgr using rl33 using my 27" shilen 8" twist... Also used rl50 but it wasn't quite as accurate as I wanted. The wheels also seemed to fall off accuracy wise when the temp dropped. I gave up on the 195 load... I'm currently shooting 140 ab's with rl25 and playing with 175 eld-x...
I was loading the 195 brgr @ 3.9" oal...

I'm using Nosler brass. I started getting ejector pin marks with 81.5 gn of retumbo, so I backed off to 81 gn. With that load I'm getting 2975 FPS. I just need to decide if I want to up my extended box to the next size bigger, change powders, or do both.

This is obviously a lie since all of the unicorns that have N570 strapped to them have died. JK wish I had some.

Hey Todd.....N570 is not so hard to find. Powder Valley, Reloading Unlimited, Precision Reloading, Grafs all have it in stock. Even Midway has it in stock.

I also tested N570 with 195 in my factory Sendero. When I ran it up until pressure I was at 84 grains and 3200 fps. This was with 70 degree temps. I settled on 80 grains and around 3050. I loaded them .050 OTL or 3.150 CBTO. I could never get them to shot better then 1.5 MOA and recently had the barrel inspected only to find the factory barrel is near the end.

Decided that given the cost of brass (Nosler), powder (N570), and bullets (195 VDL) I should re-barrel. Have a fluted Bartlein 30" finished, Whitley Medium Palma in a 8.25 twist ordered.

I already have a 4" mag box so we will throat it for a 4.000 OAL and jump to stay shorter (see attached)

Going to be fun seeing what speed I get out of the longer barrel.

jjw
ND

Attachments

• 20161125_190646.jpg
    20161125_190646.jpg
    323.6 KB · Views: 112
Gents,

I finally got 7 STW after a long 18 month wait(long story and I'm not happy). I've got it loaded with 81 gn of retumbo (82 I saw slight ejector pin marks) and am getting about 2975 FPS. I have a krieger 1:8 twist, 26" with a custom break. Anyone getting similar results? I keep reading about guys with the nosler 28 getting 3100 FPS. My questions is how do I get a little more speed out of my rig? Different powder? I hear good thing about RL 33. Or is it because I'm limited to my box magazine? I don't think that would hurt me. Anyway, I like the groups I'm getting I just thought I'd be getting a little faster speeds. Let me know your thoughts/loads.

Thanks,
This should help.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f126/load-info-please-167208/index4.html#post1246432

Alliant Reloder 26 is giving people quite a bit of added velocity at lower pressures so it might be a great powder to start with.

Anyone have a starting load from Berger for RE 26 and the 195? I'm out of my unicorn power!

I haven't had the want or need to try it in my stw yet. But in the other cartridges I've used it in it's been safe and effective to match whatever the info is for H1000.

Let us know how you make out

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.