Rl26 for 7mag with 180 Berger velds?

zr600

Ok I worked a latter up with 180berger vldhunting with rl26 7mag 26" barrel, adg brass, 215m primers. It was 71 degrees when I did the latter. How will this load work during hunting season for temp stability? Temperatures will be 20-50 degrees usually. Any advice with rl26 all together for what I'm doing would be great. It's showing better numbers for me then retumbo is.

That is what we use. I have seen great temp stability in the lower temps like that, I tested from 17 degrees up to 67 and saw a .15 fps/degree change. Above 80-85, I have heard that it can spike quickly, but have never seen it because I don't really shoot much above 80.

RL26 is pretty magical for getting speed out of 7mm in my experience. But as cody said, that load that you gained +40, 50, sometimes even 80 fps on with no pressure signs can start showing pressure when the temps start climbing. And it's easy enough to test temps, just put your ammo box in a cooler at the range and be quick about getting it chambered and fired so the powder doesn't warm up.

just shoot it in actual conditions to be sure, but if you aren't on the red-line rl usually shoots just fine at any temp... guys get into trouble with this stuff by not knowing vel's generated in both hot and cold weather and pushing their rifle a bit too hard. I shoot most of the rl powders and I live in N.D. where I can be shooting 100 degree weather and sub zero weather within weeks...

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.