best powder for 7mag 180 bergers

harleybug

Im curiouse to hear what powders u guys prefer for 180 bergers out of a 7 mag. Its a rem 700 with a 28 inch krieger with 1-9 twist rate. I can get retumbo and h1000 pretty easy but want to see what u guys think. Any load devolopment advice is appreciated. Its my first precision gun that im reloading for.

Im curiouse to hear what powders u guys prefer for 180 bergers out of a 7 mag. Its a rem 700 with a 28 inch krieger with 1-9 twist rate. I can get retumbo and h1000 pretty easy but want to see what u guys think. Any load devolopment advice is appreciated. Its my first precision gun that im reloading for.
harleybug,
We show the H-1000 load as : 62.5 start - 66.0 max APPROX FILL RATIO is 102%
RETUMBO = 63.5 GRAIN start - 69.2 GRAIN max . APPROX FILL RATIO is 105%
These loads are based on MAGAZINE LENGTH ROUNDS. Please go to our website main page and under the INFORMATION tab in the drop down click on TECH TALK and click on Eric's article " VLD's, Making them shoot. Please do all this seating depth testing at the lowest powder charge listed for the bullet/powder/cartridge combination you are testing for. Once you find the seating depth accuracy node then work your load back up ( on the right hand lower side of the TECH TALK page scroll down to BLOGs and click on EXTERNAL BALLISTICS and read Brian Litz's 2 part article on CARTRIDGE COAL AND CBTO and how extending the bullet out affects the powder capacity of the cartridge case). IF you find that the cartridge will no longer fit or cycle through your stocks magazine box. WYATTs OUTDOOR CUSTOM RIFLE website has extended magazine boxes that can be fitted by a gunsmith to your stock. These usually give another .110 in length to the magazine box. If you have any more questions please feel free to contact us here or at [email protected].
Have a great weekend!

Im going with a hinged floor plate instead of a detach so im hoping it will give me enough room. Thanku for the advice.

H1000 and Retumbo are both good choices. H1000 will give you an advantage in extreme spread but you'll sacrifice about 50 fps compared to Retumbo.

What does extreme spread mean.

It's the deviation in velocity you get between the slowest shot and fastest shot over the chronograph. You want as low an ES as possible.

Example:

First shot: 3,015
Second shot: 3,025
Third shot: 3,033
Fourth shot: 3,027
Fifth shot: 3,042

Your average velocity would be: 3,028.4 fps.

Your extreme spread is: 27 fps.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts