RL26 and cold temps

38 south

I load RL26 in my .243 and 7mm WSM rifles and have noticed a particular recurring phenomenon that I have not read about, I load these guns for hunting and typically at relatively optimum pressures, no obvious pressure signs but achieving good velocities and very good accuracy. The .243 with 103 gr ELD-X and 47 gr of RL26 COAL of 3.325"(0.010" jump), and 7mm WSM with 168 gr Berger classic hunter and 68.5 gr of RL26 and 3.310" COAL (0.010" jump) These loads were developed in winter but when I remove the guns from their cold home in the safe and fire them ( in similar temps) the first shot invariably produces a firm stamp from the ejector pin cavity, subsequent shots show no similar signs. These guns are both Browning X-bolt actions with custom barrels, Brux 1:8 for the .243 and True flight 1:9 for the WSM, they were assembled by different smiths. I always run a clean patch through the bore previous to firing. I'm interested to hear any opinions, whatever they may be.

Cheers

Will do, due to previous issued with copper fouling, not necessarily in these barrels, I err on the side of too clean rather than not so clean so I will give this a try.

Also, RL26 is supposed to contain a decoppering additive. So it might help with your cleaning regiment too.

1597715984498.png

I load RL26 in my .243 and 7mm WSM rifles and have noticed a particular recurring phenomenon that I have not read about, I load these guns for hunting and typically at relatively optimum pressures, no obvious pressure signs but achieving good velocities and very good accuracy. The .243 with 103 gr ELD-X and 47 gr of RL26 COAL of 3.325"(0.010" jump), and 7mm WSM with 168 gr Berger classic hunter and 68.5 gr of RL26 and 3.310" COAL (0.010" jump) These loads were developed in winter but when I remove the guns from their cold home in the safe and fire them ( in similar temps) the first shot invariably produces a firm stamp from the ejector pin cavity, subsequent shots show no similar signs. These guns are both Browning X-bolt actions with custom barrels, Brux 1:8 for the .243 and True flight 1:9 for the WSM, they were assembled by different smiths. I always run a clean patch through the bore previous to firing. I'm interested to hear any opinions, whatever they may be.

Cheers
Ahh...a man after my own heart! My two favorite calibers as well. I too shoot the 168 Berger but was only looking for a 3000 mv, so I am at 66gr. No pressure signs there but the first shot seems to always be a bit faster. I try to dry the bore after cleaning but surely there is some liquid/oil left. I assume this is the cause. I shoot the 105 Berger in my 243 with similar results. Have you tried the caliber specific felts for cleaning? Right in there with sliced bread!

Many years ago, my Savage 110 .270W was shot without swabbing barrel from long term storage where I had ran a wet patch down it for storage. Completely forgot and WOW did I get hard bolt lift from just one round. Primer flattened and I threw out that piece of brass since the expansion was so bad.

It was my bad and know better but brain cramp and realized it immediately when I shot what the problem was. It was not a max load (luckily!!) and it still hammered the snot of the rifle. Swabbed the crap out of it and next shot was like any other shot with that load. I have adopted a swab the barrel no matter what approach from that point on just as an added precaution.

Have you noticed the same phenomenon with other powders in the same rifle?
I haven't used any other powders in these particular guns, just RL26, but I don't recall experiencing this phenomenon previously with other combinations in those calibers.

Make sure your chamber is oil free. I have a 6 creed that shows high pressure on the first shot if there is oil in the chamber. I chamber swab with carb cleaner before shooting.
I'm not a big user of gun oil, I usually push a patch with Kroil down the bore after cleaning but store the guns muzzle down to prevent it running back into the chamber and beyond, however I will take you advice and make an effort to check/clean the chamber prior to firing.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.