Ripoff

Engineering101

I figured copper prices must be sky high what with the crazy brass prices - if you can find any. Here is a blurb I found:

"There have been rough times in the commodity markets, but copper has been hit especially hard. From an early-2011 peak that approached $10,000 per metric ton, copper lost nearly 30% of its value in mid-2011, and after a brief recovery, has slowly dropped to its current price ($2.534 per pound or $5,575 per metric ton as of this writing). That is the lowest price since the massive 2008 slump that saw prices rapidly drop below $1.50 per pound."

Somebody is getting rich. I just haven't figured out who. Any ideas?

I am frustrated with that too. I feel people just hoard them ridiculously too much.

It took me 8 months to get 6.5 creedmoor brass locally.

Federal match primers havent been around these parts for better part of a year....yet you hear of guys saying they have 10k Federal match 215's.

Im jealous, i wish i had 100.

In in the scrap business and everything is down. That doesn't mean manufacturers pass the savings down the line. Steel is down but remington didn't drop there price. Trust me we see it first hand and it's not right.

Here's the way I see it:
Brass (finished brass) prices are more a factor of supply and demand than cost of raw materials. I suspect that ammo producers all over the world are pumping out product in support of all the military/insurgent action ammunition needs about as fast as they can operate their machinery. It costs money to change production runs and re-tool from one product to another so, for example, if I need .284 Winchester brass and they're pouring out 5.56 it'll be a long time before I'll see what I need and when I do see what I need I can expect it to be very expensive.

FearNoWind

I hear what you are saying but I have a hard time seeing how a couple of local skirmishes can use up the entire brass manufacturing capacity of the US. But I can't argue with the fact that brass, particularly from Remington or Winchester, is just not out there - not like it should be. If you want brass that is only made by Winchester (like the 7mm WSM) you are really screwed. Oh, well - maybe I'll take up archery. You can buy arrows can't you?

The only brass I can find is Nosler. Up until a few months ago you get get 50 rounds for $75.00. Now you can only get 25 round boxes for,… get this... $75.00. Talk about price gouging.

The only brass I can find is Nosler. Up until a few months ago you get get 50 rounds for $75.00. Now you can only get 25 round boxes for,… get this... $75.00. Talk about price gouging.

What cartridge are you needing? I think the supply is gaining on the demand. I'm seeing some better prices on some stuff. I just bought 500 pieces of Lapua 223 Rem brass for 44 cents each. That is about a dime less than the best price I could find a couple months ago.

What cartridge are you needing? I think the supply is gaining on the demand. I'm seeing some better prices on some stuff. I just bought 500 pieces of Lapua 223 Rem brass for 44 cents each. That is about a dime less than the best price I could find a couple months ago.

300 rum. 300 wsm also doubled in price.

No business will survive without getting the market rate for their product. It has little to do with copper prices.

I hope they do go get rich because there is nothing wrong with running a successful business. It means that they have a product in demand and in these political times, a firearms business thriving is wonderful news.

300 rum. 300 wsm also doubled in price.

The RUM prices haven't came down. I don't know about the WSM.

There were 2800 pieces of 300 RUM listed for sale in this forum this morning for $1.80 per piece. 1000 of them have been sold. I paid $1.70 a few months ago and thought I got a deal.

You can buy 300 WSM in small quantities for about the same price. If you can use 1000 of them you can get them for about $1.50 each.

The RUM prices haven't came down. I don't know about the WSM.

There were 2800 pieces of 300 RUM listed for sale in this forum this morning for $1.80 per piece. 1000 of them have been sold. I paid $1.70 a few months ago and thought I got a deal.

You can buy 300 WSM in small quantities for about the same price. If you can use 1000 of them you can get them for about $1.50 each.

They doubled in price. You could get a box of 50 for the same price a box of 25 costs now.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.