Rings and Mount for Next Rig

Jud96

I have always used Leupold or Redfield one piece bases and rings but I am wanting to try a picatinny rail for my next rig. I see that this style mount is very popular so want to try it out. I am looking into Vortex rings, are they good, bad? And what about the base, is the Leupold ones good? Just trying to get an idea of which rings and base to buy, thanks.

I have always used Leupold or Redfield one piece bases and rings but I am wanting to try a picatinny rail for my next rig. I see that this style mount is very popular so want to try it out. I am looking into Vortex rings, are they good, bad? And what about the base, is the Leupold ones good? Just trying to get an idea of which rings and base to buy, thanks.
The $120 a set Vortex rings are made for Vortex by Seekins Precision. Yes, they're incredibly strong and high quality. I have a couple sets of the Seekins brand ones, which are exactly the same, other than the logo on them.

As for the base, I say go with the EGW HD bases. They're all I use.

The $120 a set Vortex rings are made for Vortex by Seekins Precision. Yes, they're incredibly strong and high quality.

As for the base, I say go with the EGW HD bases. They're all I use.

Okay thanks Mud! I have an OCD thing where I want everything to match including my rings and scope haha. I will check those EGW bases out. What rings do you use?

Okay thanks Mud! I have an OCD thing where I want everything to match including my rings and scope haha. I will check those EGW bases out. What rings do you use?

I use a mix of Seekins Precisions (just like the Vortex rings) and TPS TSR aluminum rings. But after buying the Seekins rings, all my scopes from here-on will have Seekins rings on them.

For an inexpensive rail I prefer the Talley. It's almost identical to the EGW hd rails but they've taken time to round off all the sharp corners.

I have some Vortex rings and they are stout. I also have TPS and like them as well. Vortex or Seekins rings have the best clamp section I've seen. The 2 large torx screws are unobtrusive and very strong. The rings themselves are quite bulky if I could say something bad about them. I like the slimmer profile of the TPS rings and would not hesitate to use them on scopes up to about 24 oz. For a big heavy scope I would trust the Vortex rings without a doubt.

The scope I will be using is a Vortex HS-T 4-16x44. I didn't notice the base I looked at was aluminium, I want a steel base like the EGW HD you posted the link to.

The base I posted a link to is 7075 aircraft aluminum... It's just as strong as steel, but weighs half as much. That's why I prefer the EGW HD bases.

I think the whole steel vs aluminum argument is overrated. If you want strength, and weight doesn't matter and you want a cheaper price, get steel. If you want the same strength, but lighter weight, and you don't mind paying $5-$10 more, get aluminum.

Vortex makes good rings, but for comparison, I once bought a $20 20 MOA picatinney rail and $6 aluminum rings off of eBay that work as well as my night force rail and vortex rings. So... $26 equals the $200 as far as performance goes.

Buying cheap may not always work, but if the thing looks solid, it probably is solid.

Lots of guys use EGW rails. You could always put 2 sets of cheap rings on it too!

Thanks for the replies guys. Do you think it is worth getting steel rings over aluminum? Also are the cheaper Vortex rings any good? Like their 30mm Hunter rings? Thanks

Not trying to hijack, but an also looking for a decent set of rings. This will be on a 300 rum and shv nightforce. The rings I was considering are the warne rings?

Not trying to hijack, but an also looking for a decent set of rings. This will be on a 300 rum and shv nightforce. The rings I was considering are the warne rings?

Buy a set of Seekins Precision rings and don't look back. With that much recoil, you'll need some strong rings.

Thanks for the replies guys. Do you think it is worth getting steel rings over aluminum? Also are the cheaper Vortex rings any good? Like their 30mm Hunter rings? Thanks

As far as rings go, I believe build quality trumps construction. For bases I prefer (& use) steel only. I haven't used the "cheaper" Vortex rings, I don't know if they are made by Seekins or not.... On a side note, you stated being a Leupold fan, their MK4 line is top tier quality & worth looking into as well.

The weight of the SHV is almost as much as an NXS, I would not skrimp on mounts with this setup. I have a friend running warne rings on a RUM with a Leupy long range on top, it hasn't failed yet but I'm patiently waiting for the day when I get to deliver the big "I told you so." Try a NightForce direct mount or rings from top tier distributors. NF, Leupy, Seekins, Badger Ord, Murphy precision, ARC etc. Mounts are one area I cannot justify saving a couple bucks.

t

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts