Next Step

tommyc279

I have been working and shooting my current/first build. It started as a rem 700 sps varmint in 308. I was very lucky to bring this gun home a discovered right from the factory with american eagle 168gr. Open Tip Match, and federal match that it was able to shoot 3/4 or better groups. I have now bought a new boyds laminate thumb hole which I have had pillar bedded and a trigger job that got me just above the two lb. mark. I am also shooting a Nkion buckmster 6-18X, that I am very happy with (seems to be very repeatable and clear). I am in the process of replacing the rings and bases for a 20 moa steel bases and rings. I was wondering what are the next best additions or gun smithing that should be done to turn this into a true tack driver. My goal is a 600 yd. hunting/target rifle. Any suggestions would be very helpful, I would like to do things in the correct order.

Mikecr

Just my opinion..
Assuming you reload, I think you're at a point where you should do some load developement, and see if that system actually has potential to meet your expectations.
It's not an all or nothing move(you can always change the barrel), but it sure can make a difference in your direction from this point.

And contrary to overwelming belief, you need to choose one, hunting -or- target, as these take different paths altogether. If you want all you can get from it, you have to pick. Otherwise you'll chase your tail, ****ing away resources until lost from either. Like building a racecar with intent to daily drive it to work..
Many, many humans make this mistake (including myself).

Scout1

tommyc,
I think you will find your right where you want to be. While Long Range Target rifles and Hunting rifles are different animals with the only simularity being the action in most cases. Starting your voyage with a factory hunting rifle is where most get thier start.
In your post you mention "your 1st build", the action and barrel are still in factory configuration? If yes, make sure to have your smith Pillar bed and skim your Boyds. Also have him check and sharpen up the crown. This will put you in good shape for hunting and punching paper with the boys.
Have fun and enjoy your rifle.

Trending threads

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce