ring lapping

1sniper

I searched but couldn't find the answer to my questions. How com allot of ring manufacturers say no need to lap their rings? Some of the manufacturers say that if you lap the rings that it will void the warranty. Is lapping a fix to a base that's off spec or not bedded properly? How many of you lap the rings?

Thanks

It really depends on the scope mounts. I have found that the the high end tactical mounts like the Mark 4's are pretty good. The purpose of lapping the rings is not to put the rings in alignment, but to improve the contact bearing surface of the rings when mating to the scope. This is important, particularly with heavy recoiling rifles. I will use my lapping tool on all rings with the goal of having at least 70% of the lower ring having a flat surface. A lot of "premium" rings do not demonstrate this out of the box. As to warranty voids, i view this the same as using hand loads in factory rifles, I ignore it.......just my viewpoint.

Greyfox - if I may ask, what tool do you use for lapping?

Many thanks.

Greyfox - if I may ask, what tool do you use for lapping?

Many thanks.

I have had the kit for several years but I have seen them at Midway and Brownells. The kit consists of 2 steel lapping bars, one 1" and one 30mm. They have a screw in handle for each bar, and a jar of lapping compound. Also includes two ring alignment bar sets, also 1" and 30mm. These assure that two price ring sets are properly aligned. Particularly useful with dovetail/windage style mounts. Well worth the investment if you do a lot of scope mounting.

Many thanks for your help. I have seen this kit and I was wondering about purchasing it.

I enjoy your posts.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.