Ring Height on M700

jharris308

I just got my first LR rig back and have to put a scope on it (M700 .308 26" Hart plus much more). I already installed a Badger Ordnance 20MOA picatinny rail, and medium height Badger rings. I didn't really know what scope I would go with at the time. I have now narrowed it down to either a Leupold Mark4 6.5-20x50mm or Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x50mm. I can't seem to find any good answers on what ring height will be needed with either of these scopes. I don't feel like the medium height will work. Do any of you guys have recommendations based on knowledge or having either of these setups?

Unless you're dealing with a very large objective bell, or a barrel configuration that may cause some interference, the question of scope height comes down to stock configuration and cheek weld. Specifically, what's the comb configuration and its height? Does it have an adjustable comb? How will you be shooting it? Prone? Offhand? Sitting, or some other supported position? All these make a huge difference in what will (and will not) work in the field, and they need to be considered and balanced accordingly. Ask a few more questions, before settling on an answer here.

Wow. Didn't consider all that. I will have an adjustable comb (Karsten). The barrel is pretty heavy (1.250" for 6" X .940" @ 26"), so I am sure that will play into it. The rifle will be primarily used for target shooting and some whitetail hunting, so prone and bench will be the most utilized positions. I don't think I'll be shooting this one offhand.

Just bear in mind that scope height isn't the only thing affected by changing shooting position; eye relief will be seriously impacted as well. A scope used on a gun shot primarily from the bench, or, say, sitting, will be much further back in the rings than one set up specifically for prone shooting. I can't shoot my silhouette guns prone without great difficulty, and I can't shoot my prone guns offhand and get a full field of view. Just doesn't work that way. Most hunting guns are a compromise of something in between, precisely because you never know just how you'll be firing in the field.

Just some stuff to keep in mind before you go loctiting the rings in place!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.