Right Out Of The Box----

Most Accurate Hunting Rifle Out Of The Box

• Total voters
This all started back with Teddy Roosevelt, before any of us were born so it's not present day news really.

I believe what has to happen is the people need to take back the country from those who have ill intentions. Problem is, doing that would resort in bloodshed, heartache and a general disruption of everything we all take as normal, like what happened during the Civil War... and I'm really uncertain if the people would do it.

Remember, we are a minority (firearm owners) compared to the total population. It's like Roas Parks standing up and saying 'I'm not sitting in the ****** section of the bus, I'm an American and I'll sit anywhere'. In reality we are a modern day Rosa Parks.

On another note, ammunition is positively stupid priced. You can't get 22 rimfire and if you can, the once cheap stuff (bulk boxes of Remmy) that were 16 bucks for 500 3 months ago are 26 bucks, if, you can find them and Federal 223's are a buck a pop, 20 bucks for 20 rounds. Thats insane.

I have enough 223's to take a trip to Hawaii.:rolleyes:

Yes, thats a Vincent Black Shadow in my signature picture.....T.E. Lawrence's favorite bike. I got to ride it a couple years ago. 'bout crapped my britches.....

a Vincent Black Shadow!!!!! For eons that was the fastest bike ever built, and really kinda neat to look at. The one bike I've always wanted thru out my life is a Triumph TT120 Bonneville. Have owned one Jap bike, and a couple Harleys, and now am thinking about a new Electra Glide (Switchback). Just don't wanta come off of $16K right this minute. I did a lot of machine work years back on some Triumphs and a couple BSA's converting their oddball threads over with steel inserts, and sorta decided I just had to have one someday.
gary

a Vincent Black Shadow!!!!! For eons that was the fastest bike ever built, and really kinda neat to look at. The one bike I've always wanted thru out my life is a Triumph TT120 Bonneville. Have owned one Jap bike, and a couple Harleys, and now am thinking about a new Electra Glide (Switchback). Just don't wanta come off of $16K right this minute. I did a lot of machine work years back on some Triumphs and a couple BSA's converting their oddball threads over with steel inserts, and sorta decided I just had to have one someday.
gary

Gary:

A PITA to ride. The Vinny has reverse clutch and brake levers. They pivot on the bar ends instead of inboard. That was the style back then and of course starting is a ritual. TDC carefully, just past and then a mighty down on the kickstarter...or it breaks your ankle. Sort of like my Norton......

I have a T120 Bonnie in the shop with a sidecar, hence Sidecar Flip. It's metric but pretty tricked out, custom ground cams, custom made stainless headers, Jet Hot coated, bored carbs, jetted up with cut away slides, 4 piston raciing brakes.... Just your style.... The chair has leather interior and a racing fuel cell in back for long trips, trailing link suspension with a PM 4 piston on a stainless drilled disc.

The TT had the twin under frame pipes, I have the twin carb road bike. I also have a '68 Norton P11A High piped scrambler wit a 750 Atlas non unit engine in mint condition....and......

A Triumph Rocket 3 2300 inline 3 cylinder touring bike, 165 horses at the crank.

I need to head out to the Hoosier this summer and plop your butt in the sidecar and take you for a spin I suspect. Never rode in the chair but I suspect it's a hoot to watch the wheels spin next to you......

Besides, we can talk shop. I always like talking shop, something you can't do with the younger generation.

Being an old fart has it's advantages....

Forget the potato bike..... Triumph is the oldest surviving motorcycle manufacturer in the world. The first production Triumph wa sold 12 years prior to HD even producing a motorcycle.

Gary:

A PITA to ride. The Vinny has reverse clutch and brake levers. They pivot on the bar ends instead of inboard. That was the style back then and of course starting is a ritual. TDC carefully, just past and then a mighty down on the kickstarter...or it breaks your ankle. Sort of like my Norton......

I have a T120 Bonnie in the shop with a sidecar, hence Sidecar Flip. It's metric but pretty tricked out, custom ground cams, custom made stainless headers, Jet Hot coated, bored carbs, jetted up with cut away slides, 4 piston raciing brakes.... Just your style.... The chair has leather interior and a racing fuel cell in back for long trips, trailing link suspension with a PM 4 piston on a stainless drilled disc.

The TT had the twin under frame pipes, I have the twin carb road bike. I also have a '68 Norton P11A High piped scrambler wit a 750 Atlas non unit engine in mint condition....and......

A Triumph Rocket 3 2300 inline 3 cylinder touring bike, 165 horses at the crank.

I need to head out to the Hoosier this summer and plop your butt in the sidecar and take you for a spin I suspect. Never rode in the chair but I suspect it's a hoot to watch the wheels spin next to you......

Besides, we can talk shop. I always like talking shop, something you can't do with the younger generation.

Being an old fart has it's advantages....

The motors I redid all used the old British 50 degree thread, and bolts were getting hard to get. I simply opened the holes up and loctited a stainless steel threaded insert for a compairable sized inch (the BSA went metric) fine thread. Most of the holes I did in a big Johnson drill press. The main case holes were a bitch as there wasn't a lot of meat to work with, and I had to make my own inserts for them. Still not as bad as the time a Chrysler dealer sold me the wrong rocker arm adjusting screws for a slant six to use in a race hemi. The screws were hard as hell and most froze up, and a could broke off trying to get them out. Theres nothing really square and strait to hold onto. I finally made a fixture to hold them and took them out with a carbide drill bit. Couldn't figure out why they broke like till I measured the pitch diameter. There was about .005" difference!! Needless to say I was mad as a wet hen for about a month!
gary

That was the old Whitworth stuff. All my bikes are diametrical pitch.

I stull have some Whitworth spanners around.

Triumph has really come a long way on QC and allowing exrtra meat where necessary. I'm running Kehin smooth bore racing carbs on flowed intakes with QC main jets. I like CV carbs because intake vacuum predicates fuel delivery so there is no blubbering even with oversized bores.

Not bad 'right out of the box' btw.:D

I'll be sending you some candy shortly, including some A65 Beezers and a rare Truimph 750 Hurricane transverse 3.

Besides, bikes are a nice tension reliver for me.

That depends on terrain... I use my rifle for a walking stick ocassionally.....

Sorry about the digression. I just like bikes.

I enjoy hearing folks that are passionate, and informed about most anything. I'm not a bike person myself but I really enjoyed the discussion. My sense of humor just kicked in couldn't resist.
My partners old .300 Weatherby goat/sheep rifle.. .now there was a walking stick. About all it was good for though, worst Weatherby I was ever around.

When we go hunting, I don't want to be toting a super expensive rifle because you never know when that rifle might become a brake on a loose sidehill or it comes out of the scabbard on a horseback hunt and gets stepped on.... Things happen so I shoot Savage. If it gets trashed, I don't feel too awful bad... and they shoot well to boot. Before I go down a slide on my butt.... That rifle is going to be employed as a stopper......

I've used a long gun for more than shooting before....:)

If I carried (on a hunt) say one of Kirby Allen's rifles and trashed it, I'd be sick...and poor.

I'd hunt with an AK, but you can't hit squat with one unless it's less than 50 yards and they are too short to be a brake, let alone a walking stick except maybe, for a midget.

That was the old Whitworth stuff. All my bikes are diametrical pitch.

I stull have some Whitworth spanners around.

Triumph has really come a long way on QC and allowing exrtra meat where necessary. I'm running Kehin smooth bore racing carbs on flowed intakes with QC main jets. I like CV carbs because intake vacuum predicates fuel delivery so there is no blubbering even with oversized bores.

Not bad 'right out of the box' btw.:D

I'll be sending you some candy shortly, including some A65 Beezers and a rare Truimph 750 Hurricane transverse 3.

Besides, bikes are a nice tension reliver for me.

I can't remember the Japanese brand name, but there is a carb that stats with the letter M that's very good. The ones on a 900 cc Kawasaki would be about the right size for two on a Triumph. Plus parts (Mikuni is the name) are fairly easy to come by, and they work similar to a Weber, but the Weber is even better. Problem with Webers is that it's hard to find parts and even harder to find them smaller than a 40mm I.D.

My ex brother inlaw had a Triumph Bonneville (not a TT120). He repainted it and I told him that was wrong! I rode the bike quite a bit, and he rode the Kawasaki I had a ot. Went out and bought one. I cussed him as I told him long time before that I'd buy that bike off him if he wanted to get rid of it. He like the Jap bike and I just lived with it till I bought fy first Harley. Then later bought another.

I have a guy that lives nearby that I see a couple times a year riding a four cylinder Indian! He also has a Aerial Square Four (when was the last time you saw one of those things?). Been doing an on again and off again discussion with a widow that has a BSA Hornet out in her garage. Needs to be completely rebuilt, but it's all there and has never been down. Another I'd just love to get my hands on is a complete Norten Interstate Commando (I have a friend that owns two of them!) My youngest kid had a Ducati 750 RSS-S (very rare bird). Bike was insanely fast! He bought it in mint condition off a guy that bought a new one that wasn't going to be delivered for a year, and it showed up three weeks later. Kept the bike for six months and sold it for $4K more than he paid for it! Rode it a few times and like I said scared me to death. But not as bad as my brothers XLCH. That bike had a stroker in it and huge cylinders. Would do wheel stands for what seemed like forever. Not for me anyway!
gary

When we go hunting, I don't want to be toting a super expensive rifle because you never know when that rifle might become a brake on a loose sidehill or it comes out of the scabbard on a horseback hunt and gets stepped on.... Things happen so I shoot Savage. If it gets trashed, I don't feel too awful bad... and they shoot well to boot. Before I go down a slide on my butt.... That rifle is going to be employed as a stopper......

I've used a long gun for more than shooting before....:)

If I carried (on a hunt) say one of Kirby Allen's rifles and trashed it, I'd be sick...and poor.

I'd hunt with an AK, but you can't hit squat with one unless it's less than 50 yards and they are too short to be a brake, let alone a walking stick except maybe, for a midget.

Kinda like an old man that taught me the fine art of close order grinder work. Ada Marten went on two hunts a year, and carried a Savage 99. The rifle's stock looked like it's beed thru a barbed wire fence a couple times, but worked like a watch. He told me once that a box of ammo lasted him thru three seasons or more. He was quite a character to know.
gary

Never been fond of Ducati's (Ducks). They have desmodronic valve actuation (Ducati's moniker for valve actuation open and close mechanically instead of valve springs to close the valves). Ducks require a dealer to service the valve train but they will do extremely high rpm without valve float. Adjustment is very touchy, to say the least.

I really don't care for HD's. The engine is a radial airplane engine with a bunch of cylinders lopped off. My issue with HD is it's ancient technology and only capable of serious power by expensive modification. A stock HD engine on a good day makes maybe 70 crank horsepower. The other issue is HD riders think that the louder it is, the faster it goes. The opposite is true. The louder it is, the slower it goes. Engines depend on backpressure waves to maintain the charge in the cylinders during valve overlap. Besides, HD uses ancient non unit trasnmissions driven by an endless chain with a slipper adjuster, really ancient, and their credo of American made is a fantasy. Most of the bike is Japanese/Taiwan, from the forks (Showa) to the wheels, Taiwan-India to the castings, Taiwan-India to the electrics, Denso. Even the carb is offshore and the EFI is all Japanese.

I had a 1200 for a while. It shook worse thatn a Beezer. If you rode a Beezer, you safety wired everything and used plenty of Locktite.

My Bonnie will pull almost 100 per with the chair and without, 120. The Norton is geared lower so about 90 but it gets there quick. My inline 3 Triumph will pull an honest 155 no issue. Been there did it one time.

I'm not a speed freak but I am a nostalgia person.

I'm not a fan of Mikuni's. I like the Constant Velocity (CV) Kehin's. Throttle position/fuel delivery is entirely predicated on engine vacuum. Actually, Kehin designed their system patterened after the Webber DCOE carburetor.

I like my bikes quiet and dependable. Fireaqrms should make noise, not motorcycles.

Never been fond of Ducati's (Ducks). They have desmodronic valve actuation (Ducati's moniker for valve actuation open and close mechanically instead of valve springs to close the valves). Ducks require a dealer to service the valve train but they will do extremely high rpm without valve float. Adjustment is very touchy, to say the least.

I really don't care for HD's. The engine is a radial airplane engine with a bunch of cylinders lopped off. My issue with HD is it's ancient technology and only capable of serious power by expensive modification. A stock HD engine on a good day makes maybe 70 crank horsepower. The other issue is HD riders think that the louder it is, the faster it goes. The opposite is true. The louder it is, the slower it goes. Engines depend on backpressure waves to maintain the charge in the cylinders during valve overlap. Besides, HD uses ancient non unit trasnmissions driven by an endless chain with a slipper adjuster, really ancient, and their credo of American made is a fantasy. Most of the bike is Japanese/Taiwan, from the forks (Showa) to the wheels, Taiwan-India to the castings, Taiwan-India to the electrics, Denso. Even the carb is offshore and the EFI is all Japanese.

I had a 1200 for a while. It shook worse thatn a Beezer. If you rode a Beezer, you safety wired everything and used plenty of Locktite.

My Bonnie will pull almost 100 per with the chair and without, 120. The Norton is geared lower so about 90 but it gets there quick. My inline 3 Triumph will pull an honest 155 no issue. Been there did it one time.

I'm not a speed freak but I am a nostalgia person.

I'm not a fan of Mikuni's. I like the Constant Velocity (CV) Kehin's. Throttle position/fuel delivery is entirely predicated on engine vacuum. Actually, Kehin designed their system patterened after the Webber DCOE carburetor.

I like my bikes quiet and dependable. Fireaqrms should make noise, not motorcycles.

I rode my Kawaski on a really long trip once across the western half of the country. Took me three and a half weeks, but had a lot of fun. Half the trip I rode with a couple on a plain jane Superglide. I fought the throttle all the way thru the mountains while they just locked the trottle and went. I knew then and there I had to have something like that. Rode with another couple for a short while that had a Goldwing. It sucked a valve right outside Tucson, and needless to say they were done for awhile. Lucky for them the bike was still in warranty.

Back pressure is an interesting thought process. Yes you have to have some, but how much is an often debated argument. Sportsters need a lot of back pressure, I know for sure. Brother proved this out (he builds race car engines). The glides are a little different. You will have trouble with short pipes, but will also have trouble with long pipes and restrictive mufflers. My first glide had a half inch set of wheels and S&S cylinders with a ported set of Cliff Branch heads. The cam profile had a lot of overlap custom ground for me) and pretty close to an Isky 505. I ran 44" pipes 2" in diameter. Bike was a little loud, but fairly smooth at highway speeds. I tried mufflers on it, and had maybe three different sets on it. None worked well. The second bike had 3/4" wheels and 1/8" overbored cylinders. Heads were stock castings that had been ported and polished (not a lot of metal removed). Carb was a 40ID Webber jetted for each cylinder. The first bike used S&S rods, and the second one use Carillo rods. Both bikes used custom J&E pistons that started out as Corvair blanks. Engines were "over balanced" from the start. Used a set of 475 Sifton cams on the second bike. Horsepower was in the low ninties on the second bike and close to a hundred on the first. Both started well, and rarely did two revolutions before starting. In the second bike I started out with sweet sixteen mufflers (1 3/4" pipes) and just left them alone. I need bigger pipes and mufflers, but never bothered with it. Now my youngest kid (the one with the Ducati) buys a Roadking with the 96" motor and fuel injection. The pipe were somekind of custom jobs that had baffles in them. The bike road good was smooth. I had no complaints about either bike, and neither one leaked a drop of oil as I kept the dry sump very tight. But the Kawasaki always seemed to have an oil leak to fix, and just was not comfortable to ride for a lot of miles.
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts