Right Out Of The Box----

Most Accurate Hunting Rifle Out Of The Box

• Total voters
Just purchased a 111 LRH in 300 WSM. Took it out to the range yesterday and was very impressed with the accuracy. Shot around 3/4 inch with the handloads I had. Think it will do better as the barrel breaks in.

image.jpg

My tikka .270 ain't too shabby (the singles are from sighting in my scope).

I have had about half of what is on that list over the years, but have to go with Remington.My first one was a 760 BDL in 30-06.Put a scope on it loaded what the reloading book said was the accuracy load and went to the range.A guy was setting up next to me with a 6mm ppc he had just got back for some gunsmith who told him it would shot one hole at 100 yards.It shot 1/2 in.My pump shot one hole.I have quite a few Remingtons now and every one of them will shoot 1/2 in or better and the only thing I have done to them was lighten the trigger.

I am fortunate to be able to spend lots of time at the range. I was president for a term.

I see lots of new rifles come through.

I don't own any Savage. I've shot them, I've worked on them.

The Savages in general seem to be the most accurate 'out of the box' with factory loads.

In other brands it seems to be rifle to rifle.

Of course there is a significant effect on pole from the pure number of rifles out there. Remington and Savage are the majority. I consider Cooper a custom. The Tika T3 Light in 308 I shot last week end was 1/2 MOA with real crap ammo.

Another sight I frequent does a little more analysis on new guns. To a manufacturer they almost always make the grade but when one won't shoot they don't pull their punches. Reviewing past articles, same caliber, same factory ammo, Savage seems to edge out the others.

I would have to say in order of consistently accurate Vanguard, Savage, Remington.

If you buy one that doesn't shoot well the Remington is the easiest to accurize and responds
well to bedding, floating and any other truing.

There are lots of other good factory rifles that shoot well sometimes but the price has very little to do with accuracy.

Any rifle that will shoot well is great to me, but one that shoots poorly is a dog, and I have no use for it no matter how much it cost.

I have owned rifles that were very expensive and shot well and bought another only to find myself with a dog.

The all time best shooting factory rifle out of the box that I have owned was a Remington Sendero
with a chrome molly barrel (One of the very first Remington made). I loved this rifle and though I needed a fluted stainless barreled one, But It would only shoot 3/4 MOA no matter what I did to it.

When you buy a factory rifle you buy a pig in a poke, and if you get a good one "Great". so buy what you want and hope for the best. Many people are very happy with 1 MOA rifles. others like 1/2
MOA rifles. Most of the Long Range shooters want and need 1/4 MOA rifles or better.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

I would have to say in order of consistently accurate Vanguard, Savage, Remington.

If you buy one that doesn't shoot well the Remington is the easiest to accurize and responds
well to bedding, floating and any other truing.

There are lots of other good factory rifles that shoot well sometimes but the price has very little to do with accuracy.

Any rifle that will shoot well is great to me, but one that shoots poorly is a dog, and I have no use for it no matter how much it cost.

I have owned rifles that were very expensive and shot well and bought another only to find myself with a dog.

The all time best shooting factory rifle out of the box that I have owned was a Remington Sendero
with a chrome molly barrel (One of the very first Remington made). I loved this rifle and though I needed a fluted stainless barreled one, But It would only shoot 3/4 MOA no matter what I did to it.

When you buy a factory rifle you buy a pig in a poke, and if you get a good one "Great". so buy what you want and hope for the best. Many people are very happy with 1 MOA rifles. others like 1/2
MOA rifles. Most of the Long Range shooters want and need 1/4 MOA rifles or better.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

I've been called every name in the book for my comments on the Weatherby Vanguard rifle series. They are just over achievers right out of the box. Another that simply amazed me for an out of the box gun was the older Sako with the factory set trigger. I saw a couple in 6mm PPC that shot mid threes out of the box with no load development what so ever. A very impressive feat in my eyes. Had the Vanguards had a better barrel, I sure they would have been sub half inch guns out of the box.

On the otherhand some rifles we buy are known not to be fantastically tight grouping rifles. Something like a Ruger #1, or an 1885 falling block will never shoot with a good bolt gun (or will they?) But we love them just they way they are. I love Savage 99's, and Sako Finnwulfs. These rifles won't shoot with the big dogs any day of the week. But the have a nitch in my heart. I often see posted targets from folks with three shots looking pretty good, but I'm a five shot person on multi targets. You take a six or nine target board with five shots under a half inch and your looking pretty danged good in my book, no matter who built the rifle. But don't waste your time showing me a three shot one up target.
gary

Within the past couple of years I have been extremely impressed with Savage as they come right out of the box. I have recommended a few of my friends to go with the Savage Weather warrior chambered in 300wsm as their go-to all-around big game hunting rifles, and all of them shoot sub-3/4 MOA with factory Barnes 165 grain Vor-Tx ammo. I have never worked up any loads for these rifles, but I would not be surprised if I was able to turn any one of them into consistent 1/2 moa or sub-1/2 moa performers with just a little bit of work.

only have one savage so far a mod. 10 predator xp 22-250 package with cheap Bushnell scope but I'm very impressed right out of the box with factory loads it shot 3/4moa at 200yd. Most of the the people I shoot with agree savage is about the best straight out of the box.

Lately i pulled the browning abolt2 with boss 300wm out of the safe because an older friend who has helped me work up loads for other rifles was all exicited he had just load for 2 others with bosses and had gotten them under 1/2 moa at 200 yd. Just by playing with the boss. So he loaded 3 rounds with 76.5 gr. H1000 and 215 Berger hybrids to oal. 3.60 effectively makeing it a single shot but anyway, shot 1.90" at 200 loaded 3 more and turned boss 2.5 turns out and got 1.5". 3 more rounds turned boss out 1 more revolution and got 1-1/4" at the 200 and that was all we had time for hoping with a little more boss turning they will fit a bit smaller yet he has since bought one himself and gotten 1/2 moa with it. I'd say 4 out of 4 is putty good. Could we have gotten lucky and had 4 good ones, maybe but I bought mine new almost 10 years ago the first 2 guys he loaded for both bought used guns and he bought a new 1 the shop had had on the shelf for quite a while so I'd say a putty good selection and all with similar results. So +4 for Browning

Would like to hear from others with Abolt2s with the boss.
What kind of results have you gotten?
What has worked best when finding the optimum position for the boss?
What kind of upgrades are out there for Abolt2?

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.