Rifles to consider

Sykes

Is there a rifle or two out there being CURRENTLY manufactured that you feel someday may be a desirable rifle to own? Such as a Winchester pre 64, Remington Classic or Sako L61R. I'd love to hand down to my boys a couple rifles that would be special to have in 30 years and increase in value such as the rifles I mentioned above. I scroll through the used rifles on Gunbroker and am amazed at the value of some of them. Rifles that may have gone for $100-300 new that are now worth $1k-3k. So what do you think? Anything being made that fits the bill??

At the same time any quality rifle that shoots well will hold its on . I have guns that were my grandfathers and fathers plus what I have bought to hand down to the next and next gen in the family

This is an interesting question. I think it's very hard to predict. I got bit by the bug a decade or so ago and started collecting very nice rifles. I had NIB Browning B-78s from the 70's, a really nice Mark V from that era and several AAA Claro Walnut Coopers. I still have some of them but the market seemed to go soft on this kind of stuff with all the advances in stocks, bedding, lighter weight, etc. I tried to sell one of my AAA Claro Coopers last year and my dealer told me that people just aren't very interested in them the way they used to be. I'm currently in kind of a transition in my arsenal, leaning toward lighter weight rifles with more current stock components/configurations. I am definitely hanging on to some of my "wood" rifles in hopes they will "come back" and be popular again, at which point they will probably be inherited by my son (currently 13) as well.

So, your guess is as good as mine as to what will increase in value and be the "cat's meow" in 30 years.

I'll tell you one rifle I would like to have NIB to put away for a while would be a maple stock Browning A-bolt in .243. Just cuz.

Cheers!

My man if we could all make those decisions 30 yrs ahead we would all be billionaires

That gunbroker auction https://www.gunbroker.com/item/844286252 for the serial #1 & #2 Winchester model 70s is amazing to me. 1.75 million for a couple rifles went for a couple hundred bucks 83 years ago. I'd sure love to hear the hunting stories from those 2 rifles

Now I know that ain't gunna happen with anything made today, but its an interesting idea to me and got me thinking.

Last edited:
I think the Model 70 Supergrades in the classic calibers may be a good way to go. The Remington 700 CDL might be okay but the current ones produced by Freedom Group have already been tarnished by the name. Also the stocks are not spectacular and the blueing isn't polished.

It seems the market is constantly being pushed to performance, basic functions, and price point and further away from class and traditional style.

Last edited:
I'm in the same conundrum right now. Building a savage for everyday use for the kids but itching to add couple nice rifles to hand down to my kids. Even though it'd be nice to keep a couple NIB sometimes I think having a rifle that's hunted might mean more. For instance I got my grandpa's old .30-06 Remington 760 pump gun. I still pull it out and hunt with it now and then.

Sykes,
I don't know you extremely well but from what I do know of you. You involve your young ones in your outdoor activities and personally I think it's great. Any rifle that you build memories with those youngsters is going to mean much more to them than anything else in the world. Have a great holiday season and Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Sykes,
I don't know you extremely well but from what I do know of you. You involve your young ones in your outdoor activities and personally I think it's great. Any rifle that you build memories with those youngsters is going to mean much more to them than anything else in the world. Have a great holiday season and Merry Christmas to you and your family.

That is a good point and I've started a Sykes boys rifle collection recently. I snagged a Remington Classic 300 H&H made in 1983, the year I was born, so that now gives me two 300 H&Hs. The other is a Sako L61R and I plan for each boy to have one of those. Now I just need a model 70 in the good ole 300 for me and when we go hunting together we will have a classic arsenal ready for anything.

Merry Christmas to you and yours as well Dale!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.