Rifles in the rain *important*

I don't know what genetics has to do with it but if you live in an extremely dry climate like humidity in the single digits and then you get 3 days of rain and the humidity is like 80-100% your rounds will hit high 300 yards or less there is little notice but the farther past 300 yards or so the higher the round impact I have had the same problem I know it is the opposite of what people think but I have tested it out in Utah and Nevada.

Hi, In New Zealand we often hunt in wet weather along with snow in our South Island. I have taped my barrel for years but now also leave an empty fired case in the chamber to stop moisture entering through the action. When camping pulling a dry patch through the barrel before heading off in the morning is highly recommended as well. Where our elk (wapiti) live in Fiordland is one of the most harsh hunting environments in the country, a real test on hunter and gear.

Sorry about your hunt. For what it's worth, I tape my muzzle every time I go hunting. I shot competively for many years and have seen ,through the spotting scope, several rain drops being hit. The result of hitting a rain drop depends on where the bullet was deflected on its path to the target. I've seen DQ's at 200 yards when rain drops were hit, in those cases the bullets deflection was more than 8 inches. At 500 yards you would probably miss your elk. Carbon donuts that form in your chamber just ahead of the mouth of your brass is a bad situation dry or wet. If you let your brass grow and don't keep after the carbon donut you will eventually begin to create more pressure with the longer brass cartridges and accounts for more flyers than anything else other the loose nut behind the trigger. I've had to remove carbon rings in customers chambers, with a chamber reamer, many times through the years. I don't believe your problem was a result of moisture in the bore based on your results of accuracy testing after your hunt. The chamber donut must be addressed on a continuing basis. Trimming brass to your nominal size every time the brass is sized is critical. If using factory rounds, measure the loaded round brass length to make sure you won't contact the chamber donut.

Rapid rifle covers.
enough said.

Use scopecoat XP6 on all my stuff but if heavy rain is expected the rapid rifle cover goes on.
snt

I have never been to New Zealand but from what I have seen it looks worse than Utah super steep hills. In Utah we put electric tape over the muzzle to keep snow out. But I found out here the animals are not moving much nor are the hunters seems like animals and people are under a tree. I don't think its much fun hunting in the rain personally.

I have just joined this forum and this may have already been mentioned but here is what I do in east Texas (and we do have heavy rains). I seal my hunting ammo and run a water resistant lubed patch and stretch a finger cot over the muzzle (look like mini condoms). After a shot I replace it without cleaning (some say a shot or two is better accuracy anyway). Usually rainy days are no meat days as whitetails have better sense than me.

I have also had the same thing happen. I place an unlubed condom over the barrel and if too big secure it with electrical tape. You can shoot through it and can carry a pocket full of protection. I have also placed my rifle in a clear trash bag and placed a rubber over the barrel and trash bag and sealed it for real wet hunts. The trash bag should be soft, see through material. Less noise.

I have been known to carry my rifle cradled upside-down during heavy downpours to help keep water out of the receiver. While awkward, it does seem to help keep water out.

I have never been to New Zealand but from what I have seen it looks worse than Utah super steep hills. In Utah we put electric tape over the muzzle to keep snow out. But I found out here the animals are not moving much nor are the hunters seems like animals and people are under a tree. I don't think its much fun hunting in the rain personally.

I used to use electrical tape but now have a suppressor fitted so don't bother, yeah our hills are pretty big but we don't have seasons and can hunt year round for any animal so I think we're pretty lucky really.

I don't think its the inside of the barrel at all - unless you get a real drenching. the pressure wave in front of the projectile will blow any water out. Same as when you shoot through a piece of tape. It's not the projectile piercing the tape, but compression.
My experience as a target shooter has been moisture getting between the action and stock bedding. It changes the harmonics of the rifle and you'll shoot all over the place. I had to strip rifles and dry them off during competition in the past when I start getting wild groups with a passing rain (even oil will do this). If your stock touches the barrel or you only have very close clearance you'll get the same effect. I now keep a waterproof sheet handy to drop over the action (if have plenty barrel clearance) when shooting competition in the rain. When hunting I carry my rifle in a lightweight gun-sock.
Another remedy is to make sure you have adequate clearance, and for the bedding area that you have a moisture slot at the bottom to collect minor damp run-off - this will only work for very minor damp though.

Honestly I hunt a lot from horse back so I carry across the front and just behind the horn but I have dropped 1 or 2 rifles in the snow and mud good to have that electrical tape then.

I would think that the message to take from this forum is keep your rifle as protected and dry as possible.
As with all long range shots testing yourself and your equipment in similar conditions is a great way to learn about your ang the equipment limits.
How many shooters just shoot on good days?
Just food for thought.
When I was trying for a sheep hunt I would purposely train on bad weather days as I could best simulate with gear and hunting scenarios too best understand what I and my equipment were limited at.
I know Rich is a very accomplished hunter and I am in no way implying other than that.
I'm just giving info that has helped me.

In bad conditions such as what your talking about I put a piece of electric tape over the barrel. You can shoot through it with out a problem ( made me real nervous first time I did it). I generally take it off before I shoot if there is time. It keeps moisture out, not sure if it would make a difference when its super saturated like your conditions. Where I hunt dust is more likely that moisture so I haven't done that much. But if I'm ever in that situation I think I will run a dry patch down the barrel each morning. Thanks for the info.
In the same line of thinking (electrical tape), muzzle loader hunters have a small rolled black rubber condom-like device that they put over the muzzle of their rifles in wet conditions. I think it would stay in place and block water better than electrical tape.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts