Important Kestrel Update!

DocUSMCRetired

Big changes for our Kestrel Elite Users!

Kestrel Elite FW 1.12 (Available Now)

1) Pin Code Lock. - You can now lock your device with a pin code if you wish for security. - You must enable this on the Kestrel.

2) Elite Models updated to hold 30 Rifles from 16.

3) Added Trace Calculation to Range Card.

4) Kestrel will no longer erase custom name when updating Firmware.

5) Custom Drag Models remain in memory when scrolled away. -* If you are editing or modifying your profile on the Kestrel, and have a CDM loaded in, if you cycle to a G1 or G7 on the Kestrel you will no longer lose the CDM in memory. (No more accidently wiping the CDM from the profile).

6) Double Tap Backlight Button - Now returns you to the original screen on ballistics side you were previously on.

App Update (Android & iOS) - Available 1 week ago

1) Direction of Fire from Single Target - You can now edit the DOF from the app in Single Target Mode.

2) Pin Mode - The app now provides support for use of a Pin Code to secure your device.

3) Elite Models 30 Rifle Upgrade - The App now supports the uploading of 30 rifles to the Kestrel Elite which follows the update to the device.

4) Bullet Library 2017 Phase 1 - The app now includes the Phase 1 Bullet Library update. Here is the complete list of bullets in that update - http://www.appliedballisticsllc.com/Downloads/Complete CDM Library 11Dec2016.pdf

Doc, It says that the update was available "1 week ago". Its not showing up in the app on my iPhone.

Doc, It says that the update was available "1 week ago". Its not showing up in the app on my iPhone.

The app update went out 2 days before SHOT. The iPhone update gets propagated as Apple pushes it to different servers, after they approve it. It can take up to 14 days for a user to see it. But it should have a recent date on it, when you get it.

Hi Doc,

I just uploaded the new software to my Kestrel and tried to upload my profiles from my iPhone to the Kestrel. I have 4 profiles on my phone and when I tried to upload them, I got a message that said only the 1st 3 profiles would be uploaded to the Kestrel. I have a Kestrel Elite. How do I get others on the Kestrel?

Also, the connection between the phone and the Kestrel does not work now. In fact, the Kestrel is no longer visible on the phone under device selection.

Thanks,
Bill

Hi Doc,

I just uploaded the new software to my Kestrel and tried to upload my profiles from my iPhone to the Kestrel. I have 4 profiles on my phone and when I tried to upload them, I got a message that said only the 1st 3 profiles would be uploaded to the Kestrel. I have a Kestrel Elite. How do I get others on the Kestrel?

Also, the connection between the phone and the Kestrel does not work now. In fact, the Kestrel is no longer visible on the phone under device selection.

Thanks,
Bill

Did you activate the pin code feature?

When you say not visible do you mean on the phones Bluetooth menu, or the apps?

Did you activate the pin code feature?

When you say not visible do you mean on the phones Bluetooth menu, or the apps?

Privacy PIN is off. I turned it on at one point but turned it off later.

The Kestrel is not visible under device selection in Kestrel Link Ballistic so there is no way to link phone to Kestrel. Its never been visible in the phones bluetooth menu.

Also, why would the app only allow me to upload 3 bullet profiles if I have the Elite?

Privacy PIN is off. I turned it on at one point but turned it off later.

The Kestrel is not visible under device selection in Kestrel Link Ballistic so there is no way to link phone to Kestrel. Its never been visible in the phones bluetooth menu.

Also, why would the app only allow me to upload 3 bullet profiles if I have the Elite?

What is your current battery level on the Kestrel?

Fluctuates between about 60-100%

One reason you can lose connection, is a low battery. If the battery drops low enough, the unit will turn Bluetooth off. Bluetooth is a heavy enough drain that once off the battery reads a voltage that says 60% battery.

One reason you can lose connection, is a low battery. If the battery drops low enough, the unit will turn Bluetooth off. Bluetooth is a heavy enough drain that once off the battery reads a voltage that says 60% battery.

If that happens will turning Bluetooth back on fix it or is it something in the software that won't allow Bluetooth to work even if it says Bluetooth is on?

When I turned Kestrel on just now, battery power said 100% and bluetooth was selected as on. It still didn't connect.

If that happens will turning Bluetooth back on fix it or is it something in the software that won't allow Bluetooth to work even if it says Bluetooth is on?

When I turned Kestrel on just now, battery power said 100% and bluetooth was selected as on. It still didn't connect.

You can turn Bluetooth back on, but if your battery is fluctuating that much I would suggest trying the following:

1: Restart the phone.
2: Make sure no other devices (car, speaker, headset) are connected to the phone.
3: Swap out the battery in the Kestrel
4: Run device selection again.

I would also say, make sure you are not pairing the device via traditional methods (Bluetooth menu in the phone). If you have done this, then go back and remove it from the list of paired devices. You should only be pairing from inside the app.

You can turn Bluetooth back on, but if your battery is fluctuating that much I would suggest trying the following:

1: Restart the phone.
2: Make sure no other devices (car, speaker, headset) are connected to the phone.
3: Swap out the battery in the Kestrel
4: Run device selection again.

I would also say, make sure you are not pairing the device via traditional methods (Bluetooth menu in the phone). If you have done this, then go back and remove it from the list of paired devices. You should only be pairing from inside the app.

I just tried the above. New battery, restarted both devices. Phone is not connected to any other bluetooth devices.

The app still does not see the Kestrel in Device Selection. Im pretty sure this is related to the update because I had synched the Kestrel to the phone prior to installing the update. After the update, KLB recognized the Kestrel and I was able to synch my profiles. After synching once, KLB no longer showed the Kestrel in Device Selection.

I tried both PC/Mobile and new device in the Kestrel to connect and neither works.

I just tried the above. New battery, restarted both devices. Phone is not connected to any other bluetooth devices.

The app still does not see the Kestrel in Device Selection. Im pretty sure this is related to the update because I had synched the Kestrel to the phone prior to installing the update. After the update, KLB recognized the Kestrel and I was able to synch my profiles. After synching once, KLB no longer showed the Kestrel in Device Selection.

I tried both PC/Mobile and new device in the Kestrel to connect and neither works.

You synced it in the app, not in the Bluetooth menu on the phone correct?

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.