rifle

curry792

i want a all around rifle .like short barrels.i want it 16 inches with brake total lenth.possebly savage or rem action ,not bull barrel but heavier than sporter,maybe hogue stock.deer hunting ,coyote,targetshooting what be used for.was thinking 6.5 x 284 or 7 wsm,or somthing else be better.someday maybe target shooting to 1000 yds.

For the most part I think you will find that most members here shoot longer barrels ie 26" or longer including myself the main reason is vel. and extended range, one of my friends shoots an .308 at 1000 yds with very good accuracy it is a heavy barrel with a brake. But it will shoot, for me 20" would be my minimum IMO. I'm sure you will get a lot of different opinions. Stand by!

If you want to get under 22" or so you may not want to shoot a very overbore round. That said, my pops has a stryker in 300 wsm and it shoots well and produces velocities similar to a 22" bbl. 30-06 in it's 14" bbl..

I have used a 7wsm and a 6.5x284 in handguns with 17" barrels with great results. As long as you keep it a legal length I dont see a problem. You wont get performance like longer barreled rifles but you will be a whole lot cooler ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.