Handgun or rifle scope?

It's easier to find your target and you can get more power with the rifle scope. I always use Lupy's with their longer eye relief. I know Ernie will not get a full picture in his scopes that have more recoil.
If you have one laying around try it with the 260, but it's getting close to season opener. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I never did try a rifle scope with that gun. Make sure you're wearing shooting glasses /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
I was out coyote hunting this weekend and used my Contender in 17 Rem. with a 6.5x20 on it, not much recoil with that guy. It's much more comfortable to shoot with sticks too.

Higher quality optics & reticles, more magnification, more MOA adjustments.
Down side: Danger of getting smacked in the face if you are not constantly aware of what you are doing, especially with cartridges in the 308 class on up to what I am currently using (7mm Dakota).
FWIW with the 200+ rounds with the 7 Dakota XP all rounds have been fired on 25x.
Most hunting situations would not require going to a rifle scope. It also makes you change up your hold compared to using a LER scope.
You may want to give both ways a good try before you settle on one way. I currently use both.
Hands down fav in the LER scopes is the Burris 3-12 LER with BP reticle with at least one target turret on the elev.

[ QUOTE ]
Higher quality optics & reticles, more magnification, more MOA adjustments.
Down side: Danger of getting smacked in the face if you are not constantly aware of what you are doing, especially with cartridges in the 308 class on up to what I am currently using (7mm Dakota).
FWIW with the 200+ rounds with the 7 Dakota XP all rounds have been fired on 25x.
Most hunting situations would not require going to a rifle scope. It also makes you change up your hold compared to using a LER scope.
You may want to give both ways a good try before you settle on one way. I currently use both.
Hands down fav in the LER scopes is the Burris 3-12 LER with BP reticle with at least one target turret on the elev.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree 100% with xphunter. I used to have an old 2.5x7 LER Burris ,it was huge and very heavy but had the best eye relief of any LER scope I have ever owned, been kickin myself in the butt for years for selling it and have never seen another like it since.
UB

Always LER scopes on handguns.....unless your arms are 12 inches long /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I have several of the older Burris scopes, a 10X works well for long range shooting.
db

Sounds like these guys have it all covered Len. 1 of the disadvantages to the big Burris is the eye relief. It may be just right for the IHMSA guys, but from prone off a bipod, i know even big long-armed guys that have problems with trying to get it far enuf away-- ESPECIALLY when trying to shoot marmots at a high angle.

I have used both rifle and LER scopes on my handguns for long range. I have knocked my glasses off several times with a 12X Leupold rifle scope. I prefer my Burris scopes. I have a 7X target scope and a 3X9 variable. I use MOA's in 6BR, 7BR and .250 Savage, XP100 in 6BR and Contender in .223. I shot my first prairie dog at 250 yds. with the .223.

Tom

100_0432-1.jpg

These guys have great experience , and give great advice ... My only comment ,is that you can't hit what you can't see....
Ray

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.