Rifle weight

The Oregonian

I am thinking about building a 260 rem. I was originally thinking about 8 lbs without scope, which I planned to get to with a McMillan Hunter with std fill, 24" Bartlein 2B barrel, and deviant hunter action. Not sure what the actual weight would be, but was assuming that would get me to 8lbs give or take.

I am now considering possibly going heavier, maybe up to Sendero contour.

My questions are a) what would you guess weight would be with a 2B vs Sendero? And would the Sendero offer better long range stability and less whip, along with taking longer to get heat soaked?

This will be a primarily a whitetail rifle and practice rifle, and I don't plan to hike with it often, though may do some muley or other western hunting so may pack it occasionally...no more than a 5 day hunt every several years, so weight is not a big concern. Would rather save 2 lbs on other stuff in the pack than the rifle.

Thoughts?

Thx

A) Tthe sendero contour will be over a pound heavier than the 2b. B) yes, thicker = less whip and more material to heat up. I think heavy hunting rigs are more of a pain than an asset, so I think you're right on track at 8lb rifle b/c w/ base rings optics you're going to be at 9.5# which I think is plenty heavy. My 300wm should weigh in close to that.

Keeping weight in mind how about a 6.5cm instead of the 260? You can use a short action comfortably which will shave a few oz's and run a light palma, 2b, 3, 3b, or 3b fluted. Those barrels run from 3.2-4#. The (24")sendero weighs in at about 4.5#.

Bartlein Barrels, Inc. - Contours

Stock: 2#
Action: 2.3# ??
Bottom stuff: 0.35#
scope+ 1.5-2#
Barrel: ~3.5#
= 9.5-10 ish.. give or take.

6.5 Creedmoor - .260 Done Right?

I understand the weights of the contours, what is really going through my head is that remington gets the factory senderos at 8.5 lbs, while I think I would be around 8 lbs with a 2B or 3, so wondering what rifle weight would be with those components and a sendero contour. Maybe McMillans are a bit heavier than the B&C that remington uses on the sendero.

Last edited:
I understand the weights of the contours, what is really going through my head is that remington gets the factory senderos at 8.5 lbs, while I think I would be around at lbs with a 2B or 3, so wondering what rifle weight would be with those components and a sendero contour. Maybe McMillans are a bit heavier than the B&C that remington uses on the sendero.

The McMillans are actually lighter. I think the hunter stocks usually weigh about 2-2.25lb, the HS weighs 2.5lb (maybe slightly more).

They use HS stocks that weigh in at 2.5lbs. Doing the math I think they may be advertising a little on the light side, I may be wrong. Does anyone have a bare sendero they can weigh? They also do the fluting which could be where they shave off a little more weight, but not much. I suspect a bartlein fluted sendero @ 24" would weigh in real close to 4lbs.

I also found several statements of complete senderos weighing in 10.5lbs to 13lbs.

I'm guessing they are advertise close to 1/2lb light.... I found an article quoting the SFII at 8lb 10oz.

Www.bartlienbarrels.com/contours.htm
Bartliens #3 are a bit bigger than a Remington magnum barrels, they come in at 3.50 pounds and the sundaros are 4.65. these are what their website states.... I have a #3 being fit to my action as I type this, hoping to hear from the smith today or tomorrow saying Come get it.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.