6.5x284 rifle weight

Firearrow

Almost ready to pull the pin on my build and I have a question for you guys that have a rifle in this configuration. I'm wanting to know rifle weight. I know there are some many variables, but rifle, scope, and rings/base what is m looking for.

My build plan is a LA Stiller SS action, McMillian A-3 stock, Brux barrel, and a Vortex scope is what I plan to use. I would normally go NF for the scope, but I'm trying to keep the weight down. The rifle is for backpacking.

Almost ready to pull the pin on my build and I have a question for you guys that have a rifle in this configuration. I'm wanting to know rifle weight. I know there are some many variables, but rifle, scope, and rings/base what is m looking for.

My build plan is a LA Stiller SS action, McMillian A-3 stock, Brux barrel, and a Vortex scope is what I plan to use. I would normally go NF for the scope, but I'm trying to keep the weight down. The rifle is for backpacking.

I like the action, the stock is a tank, the scope is a tank and if the barrel is anything more than a sporter this rig isn't on my backpacking list.

With what you have I'd go A3 edge, light palma, or med palm/sendero fluted, with zeiss or swaraozski glass.

Being as this is a back pack rig, why the A3? Have you researched and come up with that or did you just go straight to it? I ask b/c for your use I think the gamescout should get a second look. The narrower forearm will make it more scab board friendly. Also the standard fill gamescout is about 2.2 vs 2.7 on the a3.

I like the action, the stock is a tank, the scope is a tank and if the barrel is anything more than a sporter this rig isn't on my backpacking list.

With what you have I'd go A3 edge, light palma, or med palm/sendero fluted, with zeiss or swaraozski glass.

Being as this is a back pack rig, why the A3? Have you researched and come up with that or did you just go straight to it? I ask b/c for your use I think the gamescout should get a second look. The narrower forearm will make it more scab board friendly. Also the standard fill gamescout is about 2.2 vs 2.7 on the a3.

When I did the research I thought the A3's stock was better set up in the rear for shooting prone over the Game Scout. If I have it backwards, then the Game Scout it is.

When I did the research I thought the A3's stock was better set up in the rear for shooting prone over the Game Scout. If it is the most thee way around then I'm in.

As in for a rear bag? Then probably the a3, after all it is a tactical stock and designed for that. The stock angles are different, so you will get more adjustment faster w/ the gs due to the steepness. The only way I'd go w/ a3 for hunting is in the edge fill. But I wouldn't carry a rear bag hunting, so at that point it becomes null void.

Right now your build is roughly going to be in the 12lb range. If you can lug it, by all means go for it.

I've been on almost the exact build as you. Stiller LA, gamescout, med palma fluted. Scope and all I think I'll be right at 10.5lbs. I wanted a walking long range rig capable of some short string shooting. I almost went w/ a3 but the weight and the price deterred me. Then it occurred to me I could add a cheek piece to a standard fill and be good to go. So the gamescout fit the bill w/ the vert grip.

**OOPs almost for got about the A3 sporter too

**** that's right where my 300WM is with a NF on top. Will have to rethink this a bit. I have a Wilderness Tactical cylinder bag. Super light. That's what I pack in with me right now. My goal was to have a rig with a scope right at the 9.5-10 lbs range. Will look into your suggestions. All I really want in the stock is a vertical style grip and for the rear to be set up for prone shooting in regards to the butt plate.

**** that's right where my 300WM is with a NF on top. Will have to rethink this a bit. I have a Wilderness Tactical cylinder bag. Super light. That's what I pack in with me right now. My goal was to have a rig with a scope right at the 9.5-10 lbs range. Will look into your suggestions. All I really want in the stock is a vertical style grip and for the rear to be set up for prone shooting in regards to the butt plate.

Depending on your barrel, if you want a mcm, you will most likely have to go with an edge.

What barrel contour you looking at? Also vortex scopes are heavy, I'd look at ~17oz scopes like I mentioned. ALSO, are you going bdl or adl? I found out weight adds up quick.

Depending on your barrel, if you want a mcm, you will most likely have to go with an edge.

What barrel contour you looking at? Also vortex scopes are heavy, I'd look at ~17oz scopes like I mentioned. ALSO, are you going bdl or adl? I found out weight adds up quick.

Was looking at a fluted # 4 barrel, and possible HS bottom metal for a detachable mag. I liked how their stuff is streamline, nothing to hang up on. But that is a nice to have. I don't need a detachable mag. Ounces equal pounds.

Definitely EDGE. A3 sporter. #4 brux is all the barrel you need (I have 4). This is a good compromise with weight and shootability. And like others have said, lots of good scopes around 20 ounces.

My 6.5x284's run about about 10.5 pounds fully loaded. For my medium build it is my preference for maximum weight for carry but will still give me the weight/stability for accurate prone position 1000 yard work. Unlike my 300WM which runs +13# with an A3, NF, Rem Varmit barrel, I like to reduce the weight on my 6.5x284's by keeping barrel weight (.73-.78" at muzzle), and going with a lighter stock and scope which can save a few pounds. My Cooper that is 10.5#, has a #5 contour, fluted, 26" barrel(.78" at muzzle), Jacson Hunter stock, and a 5-20 Huskemaw scope. This is my favorite full purpose, long range hunting rig that I have used for quite a few years and it has been proven effective on game from 50-1000 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.