Rifle weight?

zr600

im planning a 280 Sherman build. I don't want a super light weight rig but not heavy either. I'm going to be using a Remington 700 stainless action, brux 26" #4 or 5 flutted. Was planning on a grayboe Terrain or a manners MCS-ehs2 stock. Was thinking a leupold vx5hd 3-15x44 scope. What do you think this rifle would come into for weight? I want it for a elk, deer, moose.

Do you like how it turned out balance wise and weight wise for carrying? Is it heavy enough to shoot good but light enough to carry decent? Any details on your build Heavyiron?

Well, it does carry well. My cousin which was a gunsmith built it for me. I didn't want to put a lot of money in it so, he took a savage 110 action and rebarreled it to 280 then reamed it out to 280ai. It has a heavy sporter weight shilen barrel, boyds stock, timney trigger, and leupold 3x9x40 scope. We don't get many long shots in the southeast. It is the gun that i use on the power line right of way,behind my house. It shoots better than i can hold. It will shoot a 160 grain sierra gameking to 3050 fps, and stay at about 1/2 inch if i do my part and hold it steady.

Btw the way, it achieves this velocity with Rl 26 powder. It is getting me about 50 fps more than h4831 sc. My longest shot is maybe 600 yds. It is my long range gun replacing my remington 270 bdl. I have it sighted the old school way 3 inches high at 100. It hits on the nose at 305 yds and is about 14 inches low at 400. I have practiced to 600 at the local gun club, but limit my shots to 400. It would be better with a range compensating scope but, i'm still old school. Hard to change since im in my 60's

I have a 28 Nosler that is set up similar to this(fluted #4)with the exception that it has a mcmillian remington hunter stock and a shrewd muzzle brake with a vx 5 HD it comes in at 11 lbs on the bathroom scale. I honestly don't really like the balance that much it really seems to be muzzle heavy. I think that I would like it better with a couple inches cut off of it.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.