Rifle weight..... senderos etc

what about starting with a lighter stock then that 23 oz and a much lighter action

23oz is about as light as it gets and I'd say the savage action is comparable to the 700 maybe even lighter. Also my current project has the same action as the sendero, but I'll give my smith the go ahead to shave off some of the action's meat (given it doesn't compromise rigidity).

23oz is not even close to as light as they can go
nor is a savage or 700 action

ultra light action start at 20 oz
and i have a montana made stock that is 12 oz
and they say they now have an 8 oz stack :D:D:D:D

23oz is not even close to as light as they can go
nor is a savage or 700 action

ultra light action start at 20 oz
and i have a montana made stock that is 12 oz
and they say they now have an 8 oz stack :D:D:D:D

As I had said I'm comparing to a factory sendero and TMK they are plain old 700 actions.

A brand or a link for those stocks would be nice, but if they are what you say the rifle will be severely front heavy with a 4lb barrel.

As I had said I'm comparing to a factory sendero and TMK they are plain old 700 actions.

A brand or a link for those stocks would be nice, but if they are what you say the rifle will be severely front heavy with a 4lb barrel.

Lone Wolf used to make one of the lightest stock, IIRC (?) they are now Proof Research but not sure if you can buy just their stock.

i will find the link for the stocks for you
here is a pic of 1 of there 12 oz stocks on an ultra light action
this is the only ultra light action melvin forbes has ever sold
by that i mean action alone not complete action/barrel/stock
it has a krieger barrel chambered in 30 rem necked up to 35
total wt. with scope is 5lbs 1 1/2 oz:D

Attachments

• 35-30 003.JPG
    35-30 003.JPG
    169.1 KB · Views: 52
MPI stocks? If so, from what I've read so far I'd much rather put my $ on a manners or mcm and suffer the weight for reliability.

MPI stocks? If so, from what I've read so far I'd much rather put my $ on a manners or mcm and suffer the weight for reliability.

Don't know about that. This is my custom draw length MPI stock for a Savage 116. total weight is right at 20 oz. Savage Accustock I removed was right at 30 oz. Plus the MPI stock has a longer draw length and wider grip that fits me much better. MPI custom makes stocks for a LOT of rifles that McMillian and Manners don't touch. Delivery time was 10 weeks and custom fit pillared and bedded to my action. I think MPI is great.

Attachments

• IMG_20140630_183337953.jpg
    IMG_20140630_183337953.jpg
    257.4 KB · Views: 46
my 6.5-284 sendero is awesome. so is my 7mmrmm and my 300 wm. they are actullay a little light if anything.

Don't know about that. This is my custom draw length MPI stock for a Savage 116. total weight is right at 20 oz. Savage Accustock I removed was right at 30 oz. Plus the MPI stock has a longer draw length and wider grip that fits me much better. MPI custom makes stocks for a LOT of rifles that McMillian and Manners don't touch. Delivery time was 10 weeks and custom fit pillared and bedded to my action. I think MPI is great.

Do you know how much fitting was required? As I've read they are far from drop in.

My mcm htg edge. I can swap out my 2 actions (300wm and 280) and the 280 w/ cbi barrel shoots about 1/4" and the stock barrel 300 is printing just over 1/2". I didn't exactly plan on using this stock like this, but it worked out nicely.

Do you know how much fitting was required? As I've read they are far from drop in.

My mcm htg edge. I can swap out my 2 actions (300wm and 280) and the 280 w/ cbi barrel shoots about 1/4" and the stock barrel 300 is printing just over 1/2". I didn't exactly plan on using this stock like this, but it worked out nicely.

I took my rifle to MPI and had them make the stock, and fit and bed to the action. Fit and finish are very good. The stock is kevlar and carbon fiber and is incredibly stiff for the weight I don't have another Savage long action to try it on, but I don't think it would fit.

It is true that if you purchase a pre-inletted stock from MPI they are pretty rough and require bedding. Best results from MPI are achieved by giving them the rifle and having them do it all, or order a non-inletted stock and have a smith do it. I believe that they sell mostly non inletted, non painted stocks to smiths anyway.

I believe if you go the kevlar route with them it would be best to send them the rifle and have them do everything.

Pic below is a closeup so you can see the fit to the action and the raised epoxy web paint on it.

Attachments

• stock closeup.jpg
    stock closeup.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 48
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.