Rifle/reload help

Flare

Not sure what's going on here. Loaded up some 6.5 cm rounds yesterday, RL 22, starline small rifle primer, cc450 primers, 140 grain Hornady match hollow points. Fourth loading on this brass i believe. My loads starting at 44.2 grains working up in .2 grain increments. Everything was fine until I hit 46.2 and all of sudden I got no reading, lots of smoke from the action area. Bolt lift was normal ,primers looked good. Fired the next one same smoke and my chrono showed 5100 fps, next one showed 3100 plus. 46.0 grains showed 2774 fps.

Any ideas on what is going on here?

Corey

That load seems heavy from what most are using, RL22 is famous for going wayyy up in pressure when temps climb. Does your ejector and extracter springs still have tension? The smoke is your bypass hole releasing pressure in the action. Wouldn't continue to shoot that load. Thats a lot of powder for that size case. If you search there is a thread on this site about using RL22 in the 6.5 CM, lots of overpressure stories in hot weather.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.