Rifle losing accuracy?

Ckleeves

Hey everyone could really use some advice on this one. I have a 300 wsm that i put a different scope on and went to get it dialed in.

I wanted to try the eld-x out of it I so I loaded up some in the 200 grain and wasn't excited about how they shot. No big deal I though ill go back to some of my proven loads in it and verify them for him. I loaded up some Berger hybrids with a proven load and it didn't shoot anything like it had before. So I try some Amax's with another proven load and it's better but still not what I had seen before out of it.

The barrel hasn't had that many rounds through it (-300) and it has never been heated up. With the Amax's its averaging 3/4 moa but it had shot them around 3/8 before.

I gave it a good cleaning and it didn't improve. I don't have a borescope but could see that it had some copper fouling by shining a flashlight and looking at the rifling at the muzzle. I cleaned it until what I could see was gone, but I don't have a ton of experience with copper fouling. I used Barnes CR-10 because that's what I had on hand and followed the directions carefully.

Anybody have any suggestions? Am I missing some severe fouling closer to the chamber? I have never had a rifle lose accuracy before like this except varmint rifles that I knew were nearing the end of their barrel life. Thanks in advance!

I should mention I switched scopes and verified base and rings were good so I'm sure it isn't a scope/mount issue.

Carbon build up in the lead area. I really like the Gunslick bore foam for copper. I spray it in the bore and use as directed for a couple of times, then I spray it in and leave it over night and the copper is gone the next morning...

One other thing that I experienced once when I REALLY CLEANED a rifle. It took putting about 20 rounds through it before it stated grouping again. This was a Shilen Select Match SS barrel. After 20 rounds it went back to being a bug hole shooter. I also like the Gun Slick or Outters foam cleaners for copper removal. They take a lot of work out of the process.

Thanks for the advice guys. Any opinions on using JB bore compound? Is it needed or will wipe out and gun slick usually get all the fouling? Patches with CR-10 or Butch's are coming out clean but I don't think it really is truly clean.

Thanks for the advice guys. Any opinions on using JB bore compound? Is it needed or will wipe out and gun slick usually get all the fouling? Patches with CR-10 or Butch's are coming out clean but I don't think it really is truly clean.

If you don't think it's clean shoot some WipeOut in there and let it sit for a half hour. Then run a tight patch through the bore.

I would swap scopes back and see if accuracy improves. It is the only thing you changed, change it back and shoot a known load.

Cheers.
gun)

I would swap scopes back and see if accuracy improves. It is the only thing you changed, change it back and shoot a known load.

Cheers.
gun)

I should have been more clear on that, I switched scopes and checked rings/bases right away thinking that was more then likely the problem. Unfortunately it wasn't.

Is the scope a proven scope to you? Seen some scopes with something loose inside that caused problems, Even with tight bases and rings. Set the gun on bags or rest and check for parallax. See if the target moves under the cross hairs, Is the scope rings higher and you are losing your cheek weld? Good Luck finding the problem and the cure.

The first scope was new so it wasn't proven. I switched it out for another Nightforce I had on a 300 Rum that is proven. Same grouping with both. So I'm 99.9% sure it isn't an optic problem. Gun has an adjustable cheek piece so I don't think I'm loosing cheek weld. Since this started I have about 50 rounds through it with no improvement. I ordered a few different solvents ( wipe out and a few others) I'll report back when I get a chance to clean and shoot again.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.