Kimber Rifle accuracy?

Buzzsaw

I remember Kimber rifles generally were not accurate, say, under 1 MOA. I'm looking at ultralight rifles under $2,000. is Kimber worth a look?

Kimber owners, be honest.

I have the Kimber Montana mountain rifle in 280ai and its a very consistent 3/4" gun, but with the very slim and light weight barrel I can't speed any bullets up in it, the groups fall apart. As long as I stay middle of the road about 2900fps it's a good gun and very reliable. Has a place in my hunting rifle family and very much worth owning. Its not ever gonna be that 1/4 -1/2 inch gun tho, out to 600 i have all the confidence i need in it…

I have shot 150 Accubond, Partion, ELDX and ELDM all shoot equally as good in the gun..

I remember Kimber rifles generally were not accurate, say, under 1 MOA. I'm looking at ultralight rifles under $2,000. is Kimber worth a look?

Kimber owners, be honest.
I have a Kimber 84L Hunter in .30-06 that I had it rechambered to .30 Gibbs and is shooting under MOA at 200Y; I was just playing around with what kind of velocity (not accuracy) I get with 190 Berger VLD with the powder I already have opened. See #148 of https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/30-gibbs-is-finally-ready.242088/page-11

1669524582290.png

1669524662525.png

1669524964480.png

Last edited:
I have a Kimber Subalpine in 280ai as @Huntsman66 said its also a very consistent 3/4". I have no problem taking a 500 yard shot, however it will likely never be a true tack driver. I have shot 140 ballistic tip factory ammo from Nosler and handloads with 119 Absolute Hammers.
I think as long as ppl understand what these rifles are for, which is a VERY lightweight backcountry rifle, you are fine. To many ppl buy these guns expecting to shoot bug holes at 1000 yards and when they cant, then they get soured, its a tool with a specific purpose, Its a 5lb rifle meant to shoot well, and be packed comfortably all day in the mountains.

I think as long as ppl understand what these rifles are for, which is a VERY lightweight backcountry rifle, you are fine. To many ppl buy these guns expecting to shoot bug holes at 1000 yards and when they cant, then they get soured, its a tool with a specific purpose, Its a 5lb rifle meant to shoot well, and be packed comfortably all day in the mountains.
Spot on!

Exactly!

Owned two mountain ascents and two classic selects-- 3x270wsm and 1x280ai, definitely not 5 round bench rifles-- but they will put your first two shots where you want every time.

Buzz- you are right down the road from me-- you can take my Kimber MA 270wsm for a test drive if you are in the market ;) It's bedded and the trigger is tuned.