Rifle Classifieds Advertised Accuracy

So what do you say this group is then!! From a .280AI...? I' love to know if I'm looking at this right. Just under moa? -.280??
280 AI group.jpg

Steve's eye is pretty good! I really like Range Buddy app on my phone.....it takes a couple seconds to analyze a group, and you can save them away digitally for reference...... I take any claims with a grain of salt unless I know the shooter. I assume the gun has probably shot one or a few groups that size.....its funny because people almost expect you to fudge.....I've told someone a gun is a solid MOA shooter and they look at you think its garbage, probably a 1.5moa gun in their mind. I have a target I like to bring to the range for people who say "shoot .5 MOA all day"......I've never had anyone clean it. It's 12, 1/2" dots one shot per dot.

Shooting can be a very individual thing. I'd have to watch results at the range to verify any claims. Some shoot better than others, then we have ammo, scope & trigger variations.

Lot of really good points. Guess the bottom line is you have no guarantee unless you are dealing with someone reputable.

After reading all your comments I'm feeling a lot better about my current set up. 6.5x47, Pierce Titanium action, #4 Lilja, McMillan, Timney and Nightforce on Talleys. 130 Hunting VLD, BR4, H4350. Action bedded, rings bedded and locktited. Best 200yd five shot groups I've done with it are .5 moa. Bi-pod and sandbag. Have tried tons of charge weights and seating depths trying to get sub .5. After forking out all that money for it and all these people doing .3-.5 "all day" wasn't feeling satisfied with it. In reality though, the worst loads I've had are still sub 1 moa and my best load has held .5-.6 at 600 yards. Realizing I should probably be happier about that.

Lot of really good points. Guess the bottom line is you have no guarantee unless you are dealing with someone reputable.

After reading all your comments I'm feeling a lot better about my current set up. 6.5x47, Pierce Titanium action, #4 Lilja, McMillan, Timney and Nightforce on Talleys. 130 Hunting VLD, BR4, H4350. Action bedded, rings bedded and locktited. Best 200yd five shot groups I've done with it are .5 moa. Bi-pod and sandbag. Have tried tons of charge weights and seating depths trying to get sub .5. After forking out all that money for it and all these people doing .3-.5 "all day" wasn't feeling satisfied with it. In reality though, the worst loads I've had are still sub 1 moa and my best load has held .5-.6 at 600 yards. Realizing I should probably be happier about that.
You are realistic about your results. If you throw in the "When I do my part" you don't have to count all your shots and your rifle in that reality a .2 moa all day long rifle.

Steve

View attachment 106252

Steve's eye is pretty good! I really like Range Buddy app on my phone.....it takes a couple seconds to analyze a group, and you can save them away digitally for reference...... I take any claims with a grain of salt unless I know the shooter. I assume the gun has probably shot one or a few groups that size.....its funny because people almost expect you to fudge.....I've told someone a gun is a solid MOA shooter and they look at you think its garbage, probably a 1.5moa gun in their mind. I have a target I like to bring to the range for people who say "shoot .5 MOA all day"......I've never had anyone clean it. It's 12, 1/2" dots one shot per dot.
My name is Joe. Model 70 pre64 and I approve of all these points! Post pics! Thank you for the tip on that app too! I have a load hovering around .5 for three shot groups repeated four time. Had to wrap up for moving and to save a boxfull for the season.

A old man once told me, Once you shoot a few groups under .5 moa with a gun, don't shoot groups on paper anymore......Work on precision, one shot at small targets, other wise you will chase YOURSELF crazy! I didn't and don't listen to him on this, but I do realize now that he was probably a wise man....:oops: Bottom line is I MYSELF am probably between 1/2- 3/4 MOA shooter 75% of the time.....the other 25% I'm either shoot better or worse....... I don't know that that makes my gun, but it is nice to see multiple nice groups from a rifle if you are buying it as a tack driver..... I can't help myself though, when I see long range groups from some shooters on here, I still think "If I had THAT Gun, I could......."

I hate it when an ad says shoots lights out, shoots as any ---- rifle should, shoots exceptionally well. Show me some targets. I do not need another rifle. However, if that truly special shooter came along I am a player. My brother and I often shoot for who has bragging rights and who buys lunch. I have one rifle that he won't challenge. It's outlawed. So it's a tough order but I keep looking for another. Trust is what the classifieds on this site are built on. So hopefully the truth prevails.

Last edited:
Not sure how many people sell sub .5 moa rifles unless they are in the business of selling rifles... I know I would not get rid of a personal rifle that is that good. Heck it is hard for me to send back customer rifles that shoot that good!

Steve

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.