Rifle Cant With Level Scope, Fact Or Fiction?

BergerBoy,
I had my cousin to measure and cut a piece of bar stock that fits the rails in my Rem 700 perfectly, leaving about 3 inches of bar stock out the rear to place a magnetic level. Works perfect.

Jim

A tall target test will tell you if your set up is on point or not..it will also let you confirm that your scope tracks true. Kill two birds with one stone.

Jordan@406

I think there is some confusion going on. The OP isnt talking about having a canted rifle and scope together,He's talking about level optic, canted rifle. Some here are getting it confused and both articles posted earlier address optic cant which im sure most on here are familiar with.

Having the scope nice and plumb when you shoot is by far the most important thing. Line up your reticle with a plumb line, zero your scope level, and tighten her down. Do a tall target test to verify your elevation adjustment is tracking as it should.

Here is the amount of windage error you can expect at 1000 yards if something isn't perfectly aligned:

Scope is plumb, gun is canted 5 degrees: 0.7"
Scope is plumb, gun is canted 10 degrees: 1.4"
Scope is aligned with gun, both are canted 5 degrees: 21.9"
Scope is aligned with gun, both are canted 10 degrees: 44.1"

^^This^^

I listened to a pod cast with David Tubb and he said the same thing. I cant remember the figures he threw out but they were equally negligible as long as the optic is level. In fact, he said he purposely cants his rifles to fit his body better, and encourages shooters to do the same. He advises to get behind your rifle and snap it Try in various positions. Establish a natural hold. Then level your optic and tighten your rings. I dont know about you guys but less than 3/4'' POI shift at a grand is a crap load better than i can shoot and would never in a million years tell the difference. The main guy/owner of Snipers Hide said the same thing as well: Canted rifle makes diddly squat difference as long as its within reasonable amounts and your optic is level.

Thor thats on here some and has lots of videos on line set a angle finder on top of turret and shot where hes brain said it was plumb and was more accurate than the bubbles that are sold widely known ones,are bettween the lines to locate level.So he doesnt use one. Im a builder I see stuff out of plumb all the time,Most take your eye well off scope,cant look at two things at once,but yes of coarse it makes a difference,same for archery

I've read several articles on this topic, yet I want to know what you all think about this? I've seen real world tests done that explain that you can have your rifle canted but have a scope level with gravity and make long-range precision hits on target. Is this what you all see with your real world experiences in long range hunting? So is this a myth that you have to have your scope completely level with your rifle to make good hits at long range?

As long as your reticle is level to the world you are good.

I've read several articles on this topic, yet I want to know what you all think about this? I've seen real world tests done that explain that you can have your rifle canted but have a scope level with gravity and make long-range precision hits on target. Is this what you all see with your real world experiences in long range hunting? So is this a myth that you have to have your scope completely level with your rifle to make good hits at long range?

As long as you're reticle is level to the world you are good.

I am an absolute fanatic about having a level scope reticle, especially level to the axis with the bore, not necessarily the action. Relying on a flat part of the action also means that you are relying on (assuming) the fact that the action/scope base/rings are top-dead-center, etc. Those two links and a plumb bob/bright chalk line (or laser boresight with level attachment) are what I use to level my reticles. It can be a pain to get them perfect, but I believe it pays for itself, even only in confidence for those short range shots lol.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...ers/vertical-reticle-instrument-prod6097.aspx

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-t...velers/retical-leveling-system-prod56977.aspx

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.