Rifle Barrel Harmonics Mitigation

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by stevesdl, Jan 20, 2010.

1. stevesdl

stevesdl Member

Hi All,
    I have searched the forums and thought it was on this site that I saw a rubber device that slips over the barrel of a rifle and by sliding the device on the barrel, one can mitigate barrel harmonics to get a better shot group for most "store ammunition.

Does anyone know what that device is called?

Thanks
    Steve

2. jcoop

jcoop Well-Known Member

Sims barrel de-resonator.

3. stevesdl

stevesdl Member

Wow incredible fast response!!

That is it and thank you very much. I am going to do some research on it and if it is worthy of a purchase, I will report back on this thread, the performance on a 338 Win Mag with Factory ammo.

Steve

4. Dr. Vette

Dr. Vette Well-Known Member

I've seen them in person, but never actually seen one used or heard of anyone using one. I'd be interested in any feedback that anyone has - just because I'm curious.

5. mikebob

mikebob Well-Known Member

I tested one on my 300 wm. I came to the conclusion that on reloaded 180gr and up did not make any differ. On the other hand i found that shooting the real light bullets 150gr it did tighten up the groups quite a bit with factory ammo. I did not try factory heavy ammo so it may well work with them too. If you are going to reload i would not recommend it, just tune your load.

6. MTBULLET

MTBULLET Well-Known Member

I use the SIMMS on all my rifles, and have found that they help bring that last "little bit" of accuracy. I agree that tuning the load to the rifle helps also, but the de resonator does the rest. Takes a little experimenting to find the sweet spot, on .300RUM the ring likes to be up close to the stock, the Hvy bbl .223 and 22-250 like it about an inch further out, and .243 ai wants it about 3" frome fore end. None of my rifles like the "donut" out by the muzzle.