Mitigating Barrel Whip and Harmonics

Heavy barrel, big brake and a tuner combined, get the best load possible and the shoot a few rounds and dial the tuner a little to see the groups tighten or open at 800 to 1000 yards
92D09EC0-BD2F-480E-9E9A-896BABA74DDB.png
. Usually within 3 groups of three you know where its wants to be.

I think you see tuners on more 22s then anything due to not being able to work with load development but thats all changing now as well with folks starting to reload and do their own load development on the 22s.

osoh

Heavy barrel, big brake and a tuner combined, get the best load possible and the shoot a few rounds and dial the tuner a little to see the groups tighten or open at 800 to 1000 yardsView attachment 325528. Usually within 3 groups of three you know where its wants to be.

I think you see tuners on more 22s then anything due to not being able to work with load development but thats all changing now as well with folks starting to reload and do their own load development on the 22s.

osoh
I think people do not bother to understand how tuners work, and give up to easily...

I think people do not bother to understand how tuners work, and give up to easily...
I went a long time figuring I could get it done without the need of a tuner and did, but a few friends kept stating the advantages they seen and when the cost of our reloading components started to climb especially on the big guns as well as availability I decided to put one on the 416 as well.

Just another way of squeezing a little more in the terms of tights groups with a excellent load without more and more testing, cost and time.

osoh

I went a long time figuring I could get it done without the need of a tuner and did, but a few friends kept stating the advantages they seen and when the cost of our reloading components started to climb especially on the big guns as well as availability I decided to put one on the 416 as well.

Just another way of squeezing a little more in the terms of tights groups with a excellent load without more and more testing, cost and time.

osoh
The icing on the cake is you can start with a great load and then still tighten that group more.

I turned a guaranteed two MOA rifle into a tack driver by adding an adjustable brake. It went from 6" three shot groups at 300 yards to 2" on a bad day; and even an occasional 1" three shot group at 300 yards. This was with a 26" long .550" diameter muzzle.
@Rich Coyle What's your preferred brake/tuner? I want to out one a 338 LM

Last edited:
@asd9055,

You caught me at my strong point: Ignorance. I can't help here at all. The adjustable brake I used was made by a friend.

He retired years ago.

Now that I'm thinking about him I remember the wildcat. I necked down and shortened a .378 Wea to 7mm X 2 1/4" with a 1/4" neck. It held the same amount of powder as my 7-.300 Wea.