Rifle banged around, thoughts on zero hold?

Two stories:

1st story: at a comp. my teammate and I were on the bleachers for the stage brief. I thought my rifle was safe. He knocked it off from the top bleacher, and it landed right on the elevation turret. It was hitting the rest of the day. The next days event was a find your target, hit the bullseye in 2 mins. I shot and hit the bullseye dead center. Scope is a SWFA 3-15x42 mil.

2nd story: and no one is going to believe me but I don't care. Hunting with a buddy. Come back from hunting. We are jaw jacking. He leans his rifle up against the truck. We forget about it. We leave and he backs up over his rifle and scope. We take it to the range the next day and it shot EXACTLY the same group size and POI!! rifle is a Weatherby vanguard with a Leupold VX3.

I highly doubt either of those would effect POI shift.
But I would still verify.

I fell HARD on my scope.one year during a deer hunt. Just put the rifle away and grabbed my back up.
Shot it when I got back, and the cheap Cabelas scope in Leupold dove tail rings/base had shifter POI about 2.5" low/right. Rezeroed, and no problems holding after that. Gave the scope to my brother a couple years later and he has been using it for about 10 years now.

Assuming you have a quality rifle, optics, rings/bases....what kind of impact would it take to throw off your zero and by how much have you experienced? I ask for two separate situations which occurred recently and I have yet to shoot the rifle to see what may or may not have happened. First incident....rifle leaned against a wall and fell over. The scope was not hit but the barrel hit another wall (drywall). It has a muzzlebreak and there is zero mark on the break. Second incident was walking through the woods with my rifle slung on my back. I ducked under a branch in the dark and stupid me forgot the rifle on my back. The barrel smacked the branch above me. Not super hard but it made a thud. Would these incidents make you worried your zero is off?
Check the zero better safe than sorry

Not being as light and agile as I once was, I slipped on ice and wacked my Leupold scope hard enough to scratch and slightly ding the objective bell of the scope. I hunted with the rifle the rest of the day hoping that the zero would be okay. The next morning we were on the way to our hunting area passing a place where I could take a shot at a previously measured 510 yard. Set up across the hood of the truck and placed a shot within an inch of the point of aim. Yahoo for me.
If you have any question or doubt as the accuracy of your rifle for any reason, particularly a drop, thud or bounce, take the time to shoot the rifle to verify accuracy.

Assuming you have a quality rifle, optics, rings/bases....what kind of impact would it take to throw off your zero and by how much have you experienced? I ask for two separate situations which occurred recently and I have yet to shoot the rifle to see what may or may not have happened. First incident....rifle leaned against a wall and fell over. The scope was not hit but the barrel hit another wall (drywall). It has a muzzlebreak and there is zero mark on the break. Second incident was walking through the woods with my rifle slung on my back. I ducked under a branch in the dark and stupid me forgot the rifle on my back. The barrel smacked the branch above me. Not super hard but it made a thud. Would these incidents make you worried your zero is off?
my wife dropped my AI 300 win when moving it on to the top turrent I had a scope cover on it nightforce scope rings and rail so went to check zero was still right on the mark, and the AI was a 22 1/2 lb rifle

I would not assume anything. I had a very accurate Remington 700 BDL with a VX3 on it. It fell out of a tree stand. A quick bore sight it seemed OK, shot a buck at 400 yards a half hour later. I gave the rifle to someone else. Most years he asked me to recheck the zero for him. The last time it was off a few clicks. I have no idea why as it was stored in a safe. I would check it. You can never tell for sure.

I had good mounts, good scope, good case, but still something happened in transit that ruined the scope. 250 yard shot didn't even cause the deer to run. 2 more shots, clean misses. Checked at the range, bullet impacted 18" left at 100 and the windage dial wouldn't move it. Always check when in doubt or after a long trip with it, whether by air or ground.

On a recent elk hunt coming down a steep slope had the worst series of falls in my life. Wet snow over ice. Very bad day to be wearing Danner "air bob" soles. Feet shot out from under me at least 8 times, landed on my rifle too many times. Nightforce did not shift POI

I've lost more that one deer due to having scope issues of either banging/dropping/or just plain cheap scopes. Anyway I try to purchase the best scope and put them in the best rings/bases/mounting systems that I can afford, and also lap my rings and torque the rings/bases. I know there are more expensive scopes out there, however I have settled upon Leupold VariX III scopes; they are what I an afford, $2000-3000 scopes are not an option for me. But over the years I have had nothing but good performance and continual zero hold with all of them, even after some really hard drops and whacks of one kind or another. I have at least 8-10 Leupolds all mounted in Ruger rings and the Ruger integral scope bases.

Even though I have confidence in the Leupolds, I always take along a spare rifle "just in case" something happens to the primary rifle or its scope. Unless I can shoot that rifle after an incident, I will hunt with the spare rifle until I can check the zero on my primary rifle. If a spare rifle is not an option, I will take along an extra scope, mounted in the same rings that are for the same foundation as those on the primary rifle; just in case! Many years ago I did a caribou hunt where weight was a concern; it was either an extra rifle or clothing and gear so the spare scope came along. I really like the idea of carrying a card along withe a bore sighting tool. As written in a previous reply, is it worth taking a chance when the hunt of a lifetime with the trophy of a lifetime presents itself!!??

I wouldn't be concerned with a bang to the barrel of the rifle that didn't leave a mark. I would be concerned if the scope took a solid hit.

As you seem somewhat concerned, check your zero. That way you will have no hesitation as to whether your shot will go where you are aiming. The hesitation caused by not being sure is more likely to cause you to not get an animal than the hit to the barrel — and that can be fixed with a shot or two.

A lot depends on the quality of optics you're running.

Go ahead and verify your zero because no matter the reality of what happened, if there's a question in your mind at all, it will gnaw at you til you find out.

As I mentioned, a lot depends on the quality of your optics, go over to the NF website and check out what they do to one of their scopes and it still holds zero. Amazing!

I'm a fanatic about protecting my scooes, Even in a locked cabinet I let them touch nothing. I wirry too much as I've never had a problem but I love the accuracy if that first shot, (or the first or the second or the third .... according to some of our previous threads : )

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.