Ridgeline FFT 280AI (load update… Berger 168’s)

Range report 20220723
Temps: 85*
Wind: zero
Ten round ladder
Peterson Virgin brass, neck tension set with .283 mandrel, chamfered and de-burred
Powder charge: RL26 @ 61.2-63 grains in .2 increments.
Projectile: Berger 168 vld hunting
Primer: CCI BR2
COAL 3.330
CBTO 2.535

61.2 - 2947
61.4 - 2969
61.6 - 2989
61.8 - 3023
62 - 3012
62.2 - 3012
62.4 - 3020
62.6 - 3030
62.8 - 3037
63 - 3079 slight ejector mark

I was very impressed (shocked) at the velocities I was seeing today. Other than the 63gr load there seems to be no pressure signs. These charges are what I got speaking with Berger. Looks like at max I was ~120 fps faster which seems very high to me considering I'm also shooting a barrel 22" v. Their 24" test barrel.

I'm gonna play with that 61.9-62.3 range next
Those are great velocities for a 22" 280 AI. I was able to get 2930 without pressure signs using 58.8 grains of RL-23 and 162 ELD-M's. With it being so hot right now, I'm still in the break in phase. I'll report my results soon. I may try some N565 too. I have noticed that the throat is very short.

JDJ: are those loads compressed quite a bit? I was starting to crunch powder at about 58.2 grains of RL-23 and the 162 eld was just off of the lands…

Those are great velocities for a 22" 280 AI. I was able to get 2930 without pressure signs using 58.8 grains of RL-23 and 162 ELD-M's. With it being so hot right now, I'm still in the break in phase. I'll report my results soon. I may try some N565 too. I have noticed that the throat is very short.

JDJ: are those loads compressed quite a bit? I was starting to crunch powder at about 58.2 grains of RL-23 and the 162 eld was just off of the lands…
The 63 was close but no. These were not compressed

Trout-
Rl-23 is generally a couple grains less for similar velocities and case fill. I had a few fliers with 26 and they went away when I switched to 23. Very consistent groups.

Trout-
Rl-23 is generally a couple grains less for similar velocities and case fill. I had a few fliers with 26 and they went away when I switched to 23. Very consistent groups.
Thanks for the info!

I installed a Seekins 20 moa rail and was getting terrible groups with fliers (1.5-2.5"). I picked up a different rail and will be bedding it with Devcon 10110. - the seekins just doesn't fit the CA Ridgeline FFT well IMO. The lug on the rail just touches the curved portion of the receiver on one corner. The rail screws, torqued with blue loctite, came completely loose after 35 rounds. Nothing but problems for me so far, but results with a properly installed scope rail will be coming soon…

Attachments

• 59AD3AED-5667-4684-8AC7-530BEC7037E3.jpeg
    59AD3AED-5667-4684-8AC7-530BEC7037E3.jpeg
    88.5 KB · Views: 47
  • EBE9F3D5-80C6-4706-BCDB-129A60E00437.jpeg
    EBE9F3D5-80C6-4706-BCDB-129A60E00437.jpeg
    46.5 KB · Views: 49
Thanks for the info!

….. Nothing but problems for me so far, but results with a properly installed scope rail will be coming soon…
Man I am sorry for your experience so far. I really hope things round the corner and you get this thing humming. I went with Hawkins rings mounted direct to the action. So far so good. Not sure if you like that idea or not but they are very nice and weigh less than a rail and rings (this is a weight conscious set up for me)

Man I am sorry for your experience so far. I really hope things round the corner and you get this thing humming. I went with Hawkins rings mounted direct to the action. So far so good. Not sure if you like that idea or not but they are very nice and weigh less than a rail and rings (this is a weight conscious set up for me)
Thanks! Honestly, no complaints from me, I am just sharing my experience. I'm learning as I go. I really hope the rail was the cause of the grouping issues. I have shot quite a bit in my day and never had this much trouble, but I can't complain. At least I have another excuse to go out to the range!😂

Thanks for those pics. That wouldn't fly with my form of OCD. I don't like one piece rails so never experienced that but I have ground corners off two piece mounts so all the lines line up and eased the corners where they protrude over the action opening...

Beautiful Rifle. Any updates on the grouping?
Re oil, non-existant. 12 year old handle it fine?
I ended up developing a hammer hunter 143 load and took that to Idaho. Groups on the VLD and the HH were great for my liking though. Long story short… lots of cows but no bulls presented a shot. I had a giant black bear dragging his belly on the turf last day at 195 but too many factors led to me not pulling the trigger and I am ok with that decision.

Im not sure about the 12 yr old comment but my son won't be shooting this gun anytime soon however I think he could handle the recoil. He more interested in ducks and upland and rabbit with his bow

I have an aoudad hunt in February which I plan to take the Bergers on that hunt

Some notes: I did shoot out to 585 with the hammers and was making first round impacts well inside that sub MOA metric. I hand carry my rifle when hiking the mountain during shooting light. I am in love with the weight of this gun. Never once did I regret my decision and many times thought how crappy it would have been to tote my 13# + 6.5 PRC the 12-15 daily miles in Idaho up and down those hills.

The optic is working fine but I won't lie… I worry some about the reviews I've read on unexplained tracking issues. So I'll be monitoring that. 200 + rounds no issues but the jury is out on if a NF will land on top.

I know CA gets a bad rap on the internet in some circles but mine is a shooter and I couldn't be happier with my decision

I ended up developing a hammer hunter 143 load and took that to Idaho. Groups on the VLD and the HH were great for my liking though. Long story short… lots of cows but no bulls presented a shot. I had a giant black bear dragging his belly on the turf last day at 195 but too many factors led to me not pulling the trigger and I am ok with that decision.

Im not sure about the 12 yr old comment but my son won't be shooting this gun anytime soon however I think he could handle the recoil. He more interested in ducks and upland and rabbit with his bow

I have an aoudad hunt in February which I plan to take the Bergers on that hunt

Some notes: I did shoot out to 585 with the hammers and was making first round impacts well inside that sub MOA metric. I hand carry my rifle when hiking the mountain during shooting light. I am in love with the weight of this gun. Never once did I regret my decision and many times thought how crappy it would have been to tote my 13# + 6.5 PRC the 12-15 daily miles in Idaho up and down those hills.

The optic is working fine but I won't lie… I worry some about the reviews I've read on unexplained tracking issues. So I'll be monitoring that. 200 + rounds no issues but the jury is out on if a NF will land on top.

I know CA gets a bad rap on the internet in some circles but mine is a shooter and I couldn't be happier with my decision
Appreciate the feed back. I am really leaning towards one. The reviews often have been bad, but people I personally know love them.