Berger 168 VLD??

Firehawk

Okay,

The Best of the West shows have me convinced to try some of these bullets in my 7mm Rem Mag.

My questions are really about their ability to hold together well enough to kill an elk cleanly. What are your real world experiences with these bullets?

I have a VERY accurate load with H1000 and a Nosler 160 grain Accubond that performed flawlessly on a cow elk at 378 yards and wonder if it is worth even changing anything.

Thanks for the advice and experiences.

Firehawk

one of the long range guys I know shoot bergers exclusively. I've tried them and had good luck with them. I've had friends that shoot them and had good luck. you could play with them and see what kind of accuracy you get with them.

You will not have an unlimited range with the Bergers. I would not try them much beyond 700 yards or so on a really big elk because the bullet may not be hard enough to break through the bone. But then a 7 Rem Mag is going to have a tough time with any bullet much beyond that. If I was going to shoot elk at the most maximum extreme ranges of a 7 mag, I would use the 160 AB. You lose less momentumn/energy upon impact with the harder bullet and have more left to break bones and penetrate.

I have played with the 168g VLD a little out of my Rem 700 7 RM. It shoots great with 64g RL-22 at 2950-3000fps. I called and talked to a tech at Berger and asked them the same question basically. I've shot these bullets into wet newspaper and the weight retention is usually on the order of 20-30%. Berger however told me that they are not made like any other hunting bullet and are made to expand all there energy inside the animal, much like a grenade going off they told me. Bottom line was they said the 168g VLD was more then up to the task of taking shoulder shots on elk, but they told me if I didn't feel comfortable using the bullet on elk, then dont use it on elk. I shot 2 deer with the bullet, 175 and 618 yards and they both exited leaving about 2 inch holes and massive internal destruction. I wouldn't hesitate to use the 168g VLD on elk out to 800 yards or so.

A 7mm mag has plenty of power to kill an Elk to 1000k with a good bullet. You will have no problem with the Berger. I shoot the 180gr in my STW the 210gr in my 300win and the 105 in my 6-284. All have worked perfect.

Sorry to have taken so long to respond. I replied several days ago and for some reason it didn't show up. Anyways, thanks for the advice. But a couple more questions.

If these VLD bullets are designed to "fully" expand like they explain at long range, what will they do at 50-100 yards? Am I asking too much of a bullet to expect it to hold together at higher velocity (close range) and still expand to create good tissue damage at "long" ranges ie 400-600 yards?

Also, what kind of meat damage occurs with these bullets? Am I going to have a hard time making meals of the meat?

I am still trying to get set up for real "long range" hunting but I am doing it a step at a time.

Thanks again!

Firehawk

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.