Ricochet Sound

It has been mathematically proven that unless you are making $36/hour or more it is worth it to bend over and pick up a penny off the ground.
Yes sir, that's how I discovered to move the penny to one side of the muzzle. I could reuse it. Had to look and listen where it landed to repeat the sound. Times were tough and still today on a south Ga farm.

WOW I can't believe how this has taken on a life of it's own, I never expect this when I posted a such simple question.
Like I said I lost all interest in anything else offered in this post, after WinMag4me posted his penny stunt.

Dean

What's impressive is if you use a steel washer to launch it in the air and then shoot it in the air while it's spinning with a 22 rifle. I've never been able to do that but my uncle could. As a youngster many many moons ago I watched him go dove hunting with a 22 rifle and no they weren't sitting on a branch. Of course this is way before I know what the rules of hunting were. Hell this is way before the day of the cell phone. But I distinctly remember seeing him do that stunt more than once with a steel washer.

While on an infiltration course for trip wires and land mines I was under the flight path of 155 howitzers. Sound was similar to the sounds of commercial air lines deceleration on approach paths, until it's not, one of those shells had a split case and had a throbbing whistling whoosh instead of the high speed whoosh. While trying to navigate the six tripwires like the layers in one of the mission impossible films I was blessed with the realistic training of artillery impact danger close. Pulling butts on the range we'd hear the supersonic crack and occasional low shot ricochet off the dirt. We could inform the shooter or coach he was low, way low.

All i can tell you for sure is that after a deflected bullet travels 300 yards or so it loses the whistling sound and just has a zzzzz sound and will still cut off small twigs and very loud slap when it hits something solid. (tree) This happened less than 20 yards from me while i was sitting in my deer stand last fall. One in a billion that this bullet would come that close to me. Took a while for the old sphincter to relax after that. Where i hunt is all oak woods and cedars which makes odds even higher.

A penny on the muzzle sounds pretty tame after a friend did the same with a live .25 Auto that he found.........
That Red Rider BB gun was never the same after that.
A friend of mine shot a 20ga shell (primer only" stuffed inside of a 12 gage empty hull stuffed in the dirt at about 5 yards. The 20ga came flying back and hit him square between the eyes and a little high. You could read Remington backwards in his forehead for a little bit. We were both lucky to survive childhood.

Lol. Childhood from years ago was a school of hard knocks
Learn fast or be tough as nails!!!

I don't know about that, I have put some really heavy bullets in some very slow twist barrels. And have seen the sideways profile of the bullet in the target cardboard from tumbling, and they never made that sound.

Dean
How could you possibly hear it whine at a thousand yards?

Several posts have the right idea. The buzz is air turbulence caused by tumbling just like the Huey chopper. The doppler effect varies the sound. You hear crescendo or decreshendo effecting pitch as sound waves are compressed or decompressed relative to your position much like a train does as it's horn sound climaxes then fades after passing.

How could you possibly hear it whine at a thousand yards?
Who said it was at 1000 yards? It was a 90gr Berger in a 220 Swift with a 16 twist barrel so it probably started to tumble almost as soon as it exited the barrel.LOL

Dean

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts