in ear electronic ear defenders - directionality of sound?

EXPRESS

A friend of mine got a set of Soundgear in the ear defenders, which I understand to be the best available. He guides for red stag in Romania, and he tells me that with these in, his ability to locate the origin of a sound is no good.

Specifically he was talking about establishing where a stag is when he is roaring.
Obviously this is easy to do without any ear defenders, but with them in, he said he was often out by 180°, thinking the sound was coming from in front, only to discover it was actually behing once he took them out. He also complained about a lot of distortion from wind.
I wouldn't have thought the wind should affect them much, and I also understood that your directional sense is going to be near to it's natural level, because your ear lobes are still what is catching the sound.

Can anyone else comment on this kind of ear protection for using for spot and stalk hunting?

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.