Ricochet Sound

.50 caliber bounce back....not good. Wonder how close he was to the target impact.

My guess would be, as the bullet tumbles the turbulence increases as the length is perpendicular to the line of flight, then decreases when in the line of flight. This rapid influx, in my thought, would create the same effect as a siren, but in a higher pitch because of surface area. Just a though.

.50 caliber bounce back....not good. Wonder how close he was to the target impact.
Iirc it was 600 yards and the target was a vertical steel.. definitely reenforces the need to angle your steel at least 15 degrees.

What exactly happens for it to make that sound. I know you can't have a western movie without them, I actually think there are laws against that.LOL This last weekend Some one asked me why it makes that sound and I had no answer.
I know the bullet is deflecting off of something, but it still does not explain the sound it makes.

Dean
Bullet hits object usually hard object and tumbles at high rate...that makes the sound

definitely reenforces the need to angle your steel at least 15 degrees.
Exactly. I see it all the time. Especially pistol shooters dresses out in all their garb setting up steel plates at 5, 10 & 15 yards and spraying the rest of us with slivers of copper jackets.

Exactly. I see it all the time. Especially pistol shooters dresses out in all their garb setting up steel plates at 5, 10 & 15 yards and spraying the rest of us with slivers of copper jackets.
Lol. True that!!! For some pistol users I've been in the presence of 15 yards is long range!

Yep, a Physics major is preferred for the answer. I took three semesters of Physics in college. Had one professor who turned it into real world examples. He did not teach on bullet ricochet. He did explain polarized sunglasses and the siren doppler effect. I only remember how to explain polarized glasses.

Bob & Doug McKenzie have a great explanation of Doppler Effect in their comedy skit Great White North. It won't clear anything up for you, but it will give you a good chuckle.

The video of the 50 cal ricochet the target was only 100 yards.
Anyone shooting steel plate under 300 yards with a 662 grain 50 cal bullet is about the same intelligence as someone shooting 10 lbs of tannerite 100 yards away.
Shooting steel with a pistol at 20-30 yards is risk as well.

When a projectile strikes and object and deforms but continues to transverse through a medium (air), the deformed projectile, tumbling or not, no longer has a uniform airflow around it. These turbulence points and intersecting air flows cause a whistling effect and/or a super-sonic intersection of the varied flows. Thus, the ricochet sounds differ from different velocities and style of projectiles.

The classic "pop-pop-pop" of the Huey is due to the intersecting air flows of the main and tail rotors, and the classic whip "crack" is the tip velocity breaking the speed of sound.
Per professor Google this is the correct answer😁

What exactly happens for it to make that sound. I know you can't have a western movie without them, I actually think there are laws against that.LOL This last weekend Some one asked me why it makes that sound and I had no answer.
I know the bullet is deflecting off of something, but it still does not explain the sound it makes.

Dean

I don't know about that, I have put some really heavy bullets in some very slow twist barrels. And have seen the sideways profile of the bullet in the target cardboard from tumbling, and they never made that sound.

Dean
A "tumbling" bullet is not a ricochet. To hear a true ricochet, not a movie one, the projectile needs to pass within the hearing of the listener. BTW, if you hear a ricochet, there's no need to duck. Let the flogging begin, my moral will improve.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.