Richard's Microfit laminated stock or Medalist stock???

sharktown

I am looking to upgrade my old Bell & Carlson Carbalite stock (1989) to either a laminated or another composite stock. I have a Mauser Interarms Mark X action in 280 Rem and was wondering if Richard's Microfit laminated stocks are a good buy or not. Anybody have any experience with them?
Also am looking at Bell & Carlson Medalist stocks with the full aluminum bedding - are these stocks as good as they say they are and hold up for the moderate cost? Trying to keep the cost reasonable and get a good stock at the same time.gun)
Any help and suggestions will be much appreciated.

Sharktown

Keep in mind that this is strictly heresay but I posed a similar question not long ago regarding an upcoming Mauser build and the word I got was that the Microfit stocks are labor intensive to fit. The concensus was that they are much harder to fit than advertised. I'm going with the medalist. If wood is really what you want you might take a look at Boyd's, I heard better things about their drop in inletting than the Richard's.

Thanks for your input and suggestions. I thought as much myself and am leaning toward the Medialist too. The price of the Medialist on Stocky's website comes out lower than Richard's after a few options like adding a decelerator pad and swivel studs to a laminated stock.

Sharktown

+1 on the Medalist. I have a Medalist on a VZ24 Mauser in 6.5-06AI and love it for a carry rifle. Drop in fit fir the 98 action and no bedding needed unless you just want to. I have a Richard's AA Claro Walnut on a Kar98a, and spent around 5 hours shaping and inletting before I could start to finish it. Pretty wood, but ROUGH from the factory.

I also own two prefinished laminates from Boyd's. Drop in fit on the action, had to do a little work on the trigger guard inletting since I use aftermarket trigger guard instead of military, but that held true on any of them. Most seem to inlet for military bottom metal. The Boyd's needed reinforcing, bedding, and relieving around the tang to prevent splitting - they even tell you some of that with the instructions that come with the stock.

Bottom line, you won't be upset with the quality, fit, or feel of the Medalist if you go with it.

YMMV, BIDI,

Brian

decision on wood vs composite is a personal one. im personally partial to wood from the standpoint of looks.
i have a problem in that im a lefty. i was told by stocky personaly that he dosent worry much about leftys.
boyds dosent offer any lefty stocks.
so i am thankfull to any suppliers who consider us leftys.
richards does offer a full range of lefty stocks.
when finished they are beautiful. that said they are very rough and take time to make look good.

Microfit stocks do not fit as well as advertised, are labor intensive but are very reasonably priced and a good way to get yourself some beautiful furniture. I did one for a Sprngfld 03 that I rebarreled in .270 (don't ask why, it was just a thing) and although it was a lot of work, it's gorgeous in the finished product. Choice is personal. I like wood.

I have a Richards Microfit, their Wildcat design on a 240 gibbs, if you like working with wood they are great, I don't.
I think the final fit and finish is done for them by a local family of Beavers.
I have pretty much migrated to McMillan's since then.

Dave

For laminated or fancy wood stock, I would get a hold of Joel Russo. Cnc inleted to your action and barrel contour. Many options available.

Joel is a great guy to deal with. None better laminated stock out there.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.