Rewaterproofing Silnylon Floor??

tt35

I have a Big Agnes Copper Spur 3 whose waterproofing was absolutely amazing when I first purchased it. I've had it out a couple of times since without a footprint and am concerned it probably has some pin holes in the floor. I'd like to rewaterproof it before the Fall hunting seasons. Any product suggestions/techniques? Thanks!

TT, I tried Rust-Oleum Never Wet, it works very well on hard surfaces that see no traffic or not touched. On flexible items like canvas and nylon articles the dried haze it leaves flaked off rendering the item leaking. I have had the best luck with Kiwi heavy duty Camp Dry from Wally World. The Kiwi is much less costly also. Good luck

I have a Big Agnes Copper Spur 3 whose waterproofing was absolutely amazing when I first purchased it. I've had it out a couple of times since without a footprint and am concerned it probably has some pin holes in the floor. I'd like to rewaterproof it before the Fall hunting seasons. Any product suggestions/techniques? Thanks!

If the holes are visible just use a tent seam sealer and patch the holes.

If your wanting to re-waterproof the whole entire floor contact big agnes and see what they recommend before using anything on it. it could void your warranty or worse damage the material.

If your wanting to re-waterproof the whole entire floor contact big agnes and see what they recommend before using anything on it.

It's past warranty but that's still a good call. I should have thought of that... lightbulb

Thanks to both of you.

Re: Rewaterproofing Silnylon Floor?? YEP!

On my silnylon Tarptent tents I mix the following and roll on with a small, short napped paint roller.

by volume
1 part clear GE Silicone II caulk
5 parts ODORLESS mineral spirtits

1-> Mix well in a jar with tight lid. Pour small amount into a paint tray
re-mix by shaking jar every 5 minutes
2-> Roll mixture on cleaned tent floor (outside surface) with small paint roller (Drape tent floor over a table) Be sure to coat seams as well.
3-> WIPE excess off lightly with a blue paper shop towel (very important)
4-> let dry for 2 days before use

This is the way backpackers have been treating floors and flys and from my own experience it works very well.

Thanks, lh. Interesting technique. I can see that it would cover the seen and unseen holes which would be an advantage.

Tim,

BTW, this clear silicone caulk and odorless mineral spirits mixture is the ONLY way to waterproof silnylon (at home). Do not use spray-on DWR type products or Never-Wet.

OK. Thanks. Are the DWR/Never-wet ineffective or do they cause specific issues?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.