Revisiting the 338 win mag

ruby76

I've convinced myself a "mid" 338 is needed for a moose/elk round and most likely within 500 yards (still would like to bang steel as far as practical). I will not go big case capacity and I've always had a thing for efficient cartriges. In looking at options such as Sherman's and '06 AI I keep coming back around to the trusty 'ol 338 win mag. I'll feel I shouldn't discount it quite yet when looking at the numbers, both ballistics and financial.

Modern powders and high BC bullets up to 250 grain such as 250 berger, 230 eldx, 236 hammers, 250 Barnes LRX. I'd like to get some ideas on getting the most out of this cartridge. Would throating for these bullets pick up much capacity and fps? They would still need to fit in a mag box for a repeater. Barrel length?

You should be able to get the 230 eldx to 3000 fps with the right load, my off the shelf Abolt shoots the 225 sst at 3008 with a stiff charge of rl19. 250's start to eat into case capacity, which could be remedied with a custom throat and longer mag box. I can get 250 partitions or gamekings to 2800, but bergers only to about 2680 because of mag length restrictions.

I'd think a 26" barrel would be all you'd need, since you generally don't need the slowest burning powders in this cartridge.

If you go with .338 Win Mag, look for it in a Rem 700 or a newer Win Model 70. The Remington will allow 3.6" OAL out of the box. The Win Model 70 has a 3.6" mag also, but you will need to remove a spacer at the rear of the mag well and you may wish to go with a .375 H&H follower to fill the gap that will be open once the spacer is removed.

Either a 24" or a 26" barrel will be plenty of length for the Win Mag. I am personally convinced that the best overall bullet for the "mid" 338's is the 250 Berger EH. Seated to the neck/shoulder junction, the 250 EH will produce an OAL around 3.570 or so, which may require throating. Properly set up for the 250 EH, you will still be able to utilize lighter bullets without difficulty (largely because of the fat, blunt ogives common to most .338 bullets).

Win Mag case capacity sits in a "no mans land" that makes it too large to achieve an advantage using powders like RL-17 and H100V, and too small to utilize powders like H1000 or Retumbo. The recent introduction of RL-26 may be just the ticket for 250 grain bullets and heavier in the Win Mag case. In getting the most from the .338 Win Mag, the 250 EH and RL-26 would be a good place to start.

I think @TC338 and @ruby76 would both be happier with a 33-Nosler or 338/28-Nosler

The 338/28-Nosler will have about 100FPS advantage over the 33-Nosler in the 220-230 grain weight class range at 56k psi.

338 WM is an awesome caliber, if you can take the torture. Some extra padding for your shoulder at the range will be welcomed. I tend to think 225 grain bullets are the sweet spot for all around hunting. Recoil is manageable without a brake. 250's pound me pretty good and tend not to be as accurate, for me anyway. 1" Limbsaver recoil pad is your friend. I like the Barnes 225 TTSX in front of H-414. Ball powders are no longer fashionable. Well, not fashionable until you actually test and use them. It's hard to get enough powder into the 338 WM case so a good ball powder addresses that nicely.

Another fella a while back raved about the Cutting Edge 225 gr. bullets. Said the extremely high BC would take you "way out there". I thought they were a bit to expensive for me but he swore by them.

I think @TC338 and @ruby76 would both be happier with a 33-Nosler or 338/28-Nosler

The 338/28-Nosler will have about 100FPS advantage over the 33-Nosler in the 220-230 grain weight class range at 56k psi.
I would but I'm shooting a tc encore and so one will chamber a barrel in anything in the ultra mag diameters. Only way for me to go up is .340 Weatherby.

I would but I'm shooting a tc encore and so one will chamber a barrel in anything in the ultra mag diameters. Only way for me to go up is .340 Weatherby.
Well then, that's a whole 'nother kettle if fish.

Please don't try to push the performance by raising the pressure with an Encore. (sorry, you already know this)

Before I rechambered my 338 Win Mag to 338/26-Nosler I played with it a bit. Personally preferring non-lead for hunting added to living in California...

My take is that lighter faster works better for the 338 WM for hunting. Especially with non-leads like Hammers or Barnes.

In the 220-230 grain range 2800fps is reasonable. Especially if you can seat the bullets long and get more room in the engine compartment.

Throating may or may not be necessary. Try it first. If you can seat the bullets long and get .050 to .100 run to the lands, I would call it good and work from there. Long to me means about 3.5" range. Plus or minus some depending on the bullet

Once settled on a length...

If you can get a 3.6" magazine in your action, go for it. Almost all will do it. Mine is a Weatherby Mark V. To go long it is simple. Remove the spacer, 300 Weatherby follower, extend the bolt stop groove. Done.

Not that I did end up discounting the 338 wm, but I've chosen a different direction with my "mid" 338. Finding the appropriate donor parts made my mind up for me, plus like I said I have a thing for effiecient, and different cartriges.

Thanks all for the info, I do think there is a place for the 338wm, especially with some of the newer bullets/powders out these days that breathe a breath of fresh air into it.

Not that I did end up discounting the 338 wm, but I've chosen a different direction with my "mid" 338. Finding the appropriate donor parts made my mind up for me, plus like I said I have a thing for effiecient, and different cartriges.

Thanks all for the info, I do think there is a place for the 338wm, especially with some of the newer bullets/powders out these days that breathe a breath of fresh air into it.

Dang right. The 338 WM has stacked truckloads of elk into the freezer.

The 338 Wm is the best moose round I know of.I guide for moose in Maine and several time's have loaned mine out to hunter's.Using a 210 Nosler Partition with IMR 4350 going a little over 2900 fps I have never seen a moose go any where ,but down

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.