Reticle service on existing scope?

kschwantz

Anyone know of any optics place that would change out reticles in a scope?

Back in the 90s I thought I recalled Premiere reticle would do it, maybe I'm mistaken, looks they only make scopes now.

Some of the Target scope out there would make good hunting scope if you could have them swapped for say, a mildot. Better yet if there was a place that could convert your scope to a FFP mildot or some such.

Anybody know of any such place?

Thanks,

KS

T. K. LEE CO. - Custom Dot Reticles

I doubt that they'd convert a SFP to a FFP ...
If you want to go that far you'd be better off buying a new scope already outfitted to your desires.
If you go for a MilDot reticle, just make sure you know ahead of time what the MilDot spacing is at the highest power and, if it's a variable power scope, if any of the scope power setting actually represent one mil. not all MilDot reticles are the same.

Good scopes cost so little today and are much more reliable. The need to service them has diminished and labour costs have soared so it makes scope mods uneconomic.
Spending $500 on mods to a scope when a better scope with the features you want is available cheaper just doesn't make sense.

A quick way to ruin the resale value of a scope is to install a custom reticle. The problem with drop calibrated custom reticles is they're no longer calibrated if the cartridge, bullet, load, rifle, location, or weather changes..

Target knobs accompanied by range cards or portable computers and various instruments work well but the process is slow mostly from the time it takes to set the knobs correctly. If you don't like guessing holdoffs (with or without mil-dot) or knob twiddling mil-grid reticles are available from several scope manufacturers. htttp://www.horusvision.com. Yes, they'r "busy" but they give similar accuracy to target knobs and are faster to use. . They still need range cards or a computer.

Unlike target knobs , mil-grid reticles are great for followup shots with no additional calculations when you can see the location of the target (even if it has moved) and the previous bullet's impact simultaneously though the scope.

As stated by others I would not recommend changing reticles in an existing scope. It's just not cost effective if you can find what you need or want, new or used.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.