Reticle Leveling, need help!

442jonez

A newbie to scope mounting and I have purchased a ring lapping kit with levels and torque wrench. My issue is when I use the leveling kit as per the instructions, the reticle does not appear level when I mount the gun. Further, this system of levels uses one level magnetically held in the action and one on the top of the scope. So when I pick up the rifle after leveling the scope as instructed, and leave the level in the action, the reticle is not level when I mount the rifle and observe the level. Any ideas or suggestions? Thank you

It sounds like the Cross hairs in the scopes are not at the same level as the top of the scope where your setting your bubble lever. Might try a plumb line on a wall. Use a plumb line and look through the scope and line the cross hair to your plumb line that you hang from your wall.

Thanks, QS. I have used that method. I thought the mounting kit would add some precision to my efforts. My equipment is a Remington 700, Leupold scope and a Wheeler Engineering scope mounting/ ring lapping kit. All my scopes are Leupold (3) and all have given me this problem using the Wheeler Level kit.
I just want to be accurate out to 300 to 400 yards and understand how a canted scope will compromise accuracy. I shoot a 7mm Rem Mag, and 243 Win. both Remington 700s, and a Rock River Arms AR-15 in 5.56.
Any other ideas or input?

Last edited:
It sounds to me like you are not starting with the gun properly leveled.

Once you mount the rail level the gun using that as your starting point.

Make sure that bubble is the one you go off of when attaching the magnetic level then to the action or wherever you are mounting it.

The levels that mount to the rail are the ones that will give you the quickest route to success.

I didn't fully read, but what rifle are you putting it on? You might check the optics thread lots of suggestions there too. I'll have some action levels made here soon, you can see pics of what I'm making "leveling my reticle, opinions" thread. If your interested.

For shooting out to 400 yds, reticle alignment is not super critical. You can simply eyeball the reticle alignment by looking into the eyepiece from about a foot away and aligning the reticle with the receiver. Also, the little injection molded plastic levels in the scope installation kits are not very accurate. You should lap them if you want good alignment accuracy.

If you want better accuracy for longer shots and the scope reticle isn't properly aligned to the scope turret, then I recommend the following. Plumb the reticle if you're dialing elevation. If you're or holding off elevation instead, then plumb the elevation turret axis. These accuracy measures are pointless unless you use an anti-cant indicator.

This is the type level I was talking about.

BUBBLE LEVEL | Brownells

l_122100600_1.jpg

Put one of these on your rail, and another level on top of your scope and match the bubbles and you have a plum reticle.

There really isn't any way to do it that is as simple or as accurate.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.