restocking a rem. model 7

Larry P243

I hope this is in the right place ? sorry if it is not. here is my problem ,I am trying to get rid of the Tupperware stock on my mod.7 xcr to see if I can get it to shoot better. I find almost all stock makers with mod.700 sa stocks but i have read that the mod.7 sa is slightly shorter than the 700 sa. anyone know if this correct or just something I dreamed . boyds does list a stock for a m 7 but with a varmint barrel and my rifle has a fluted sporter, I may use this stock if i can not find one that is inletted for the sporter barrel

The rear action ring on the Model 7 is shorter than the 700 SA so a SA stock probably won't work.
The stock with the varmint contour barrel will work, but you might/will have a big gap between the barrel and the stock.

Are you reloading for it? My wife's model 7 went from 2" at 100 yd groups with factory ammo down to a 5/8", 5 shot group the first day I started working up a load for it.

I do reload but 1" is as good as it will do and 1 1/2" with factory, that is why I decided to get rid of the factory tupper ware stock. I think I am going to go with a laminated thumbhole stock bed it and see if that makes enough difference for me to live with , if not I will re-barrel it .

I have rebarreled all my model 7 rifles. 308, 7mm/08, and .243. All are now in McMilllin BDL Edge technology stocks and Jewell triggers. All shoot hand loads .5 moa.
Nat Lamberth

Have ya looked at stocks from "Stockys". Normally laminated wood...but strong as hell...and he also sells various brands of the plastic stocks. I have 4 of his various designed wooden laminates and love them

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.