Rem Model 7 tips and tricks...any to offer??

Dan B

Just snagged a Model 7 in 7mm-08 (wood stock, weaver base, junk rings and Tasco 6-18X) for $350 OTD. The stock finish is about 95% with some of the clear flaking off but no dings at all. Bluing is also about 95%.

Anyhoo...never messed with a rifle this light in weight. I know group shooting is going to be tough with the buggy whip barrel. But just wanted to see what other M7 owner have done to improve groups. After a good cleaning I'm going to run my standard 7mm-08 load (Varget and 139gr Hornady BTSP) through it and see what happens.

Later........Dan

My Mod. 7 tricks

1. It will not shot a max load well!!! and a 130 gr. bullet better than a 140 or 120 but all guns are different.
2. I have found they shot a flat base bullet is better than a boattail; I use speer hot core 130 gr. with 42gr. of RL15 my gun shoots about a 1in group @ 100yds on a calm day!
light bulb3. DON'T float the barrel!! A friend of mine did on his 260 and had to add a pressure point about an inch for the end of the forearm.
Hope this helps!!! Great short range deer gun light my kids use mine more than I do

Dan

Mine likes 120gr blistic tips and 49.5grs H414 in front of a
cci bench rest primer.

In the 18.5" factory barrel velocity was 2979 ft/sec.

After many kills and lots of rounds I replaced the factory barrel
with a 20'' #7 taper select match ss barrel and the velocity
went to 3010 ft/sec in cool weather, and the best group
to date is a .053 5 shot @ 100yrds.

Varget shows promise and is not heat sensitive so if I can get
the same or better accurace I will switch powders.

The 120gr blistic tip seams to be the most accurate at
these velocitys and barrel lengths.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.