Camp tricks

adk hunter

So a thread on scent free clothes got me chuckling...

We have a big camp and only see some members once a year. This one guy never joined but was happy to be the guest at camp. No problem. However, being lazy as a coon, not so much. He was the guy always needing to "borrow" others stuff finally wore me out. After I suspected he was into my scent killer spray I just said to myself "let it go" but I thought about it all day. After another repeat performance around camp of not lifting a finger I thought of something for next year. Well, sure enough, next year he was back. I made a special "scent free" blend and left the bottle where only he couldn't miss. I always say I don't have to be scent free I just have to smell less than the next guy. I took a virtual shower with the spray and walked past him. Sure enough, off my tailgate he got my spray and covered his boots, pants and cuffs. Well, I'm dying!! Being cold the full effect didn't kick in to after our noon break when we started up the trail and someone behind said Dam! Who rolled in the dog s***

Let's hear some of yours...

Not so much a prank, but your story reminded me of this experience. My best buddy in high school was a great guy but sometimes borrowed stuff which he didn't have/couldn't afford. Didn't bother me as I was happy to share, but sometimes it would go too far falling into the straight up forgetful category. We would go backpacking fairly often and it seems like there was always some key item he would forget. So this go around we were car camping in central CA bow hunting for pigs when we had just started hunting and didn't really know what we were doing. We were sitting in the front seat of his parent's truck heating up some Mountain House meals because it was cold and windy outside and we didn't have tents or warm enough clothing. He looks over at me and tells me he forgot his spork to eat his meal with, so annoyed but nicely I cleaned off mine with isopropyl alcohol and gave it to him so he could eat when I was done. I figure if that is the worst thing he forgot this time around then we should be ok. Later on we were getting ready to turn in for the night and he turns to me and says, "bro, I forgot my toothbrush". In hind sight I probably should have told him to pound sand or go without, but out came the isopropyl alcohol again. Needless to say, I didn't brush my teeth for the rest of the trip. Never did get him back for that one.

So we had a long-time friend that did not particularly like the same old fishing campspot year after year. Out in a prairie, no shade, sometimes muddy and cold.
The following year, the entire fishing group shows up to that camp, only to find that it is now posted with no trespassing signs.
Last year's complainer, Gale, says he knows where to go with our large camp.
New camp, much nicer, not on the river though.
At the end of the trip, Gale is packed up and heading out first, when he stops and yells out to the entire group, "hey, when ya'll leave, you mind picking up my no trespassing sign?"

So we had a long-time friend that did not particularly like the same old fishing campspot year after year. Out in a prairie, no shade, sometimes muddy and cold.
The following year, the entire fishing group shows up to that camp, only to find that it is now posted with no trespassing signs.
Last year's complainer, Gale, says he knows where to go with our large camp.
New camp, much nicer, not on the river though.
At the end of the trip, Gale is packed up and heading out first, when he stops and yells out to the entire group, "hey, when ya'll leave, you mind picking up my no trespassing sign?"
Work smarter, not harder. ;)

Not so much a prank, but your story reminded me of this experience. My best buddy in high school was a great guy but sometimes borrowed stuff which he didn't have/couldn't afford. Didn't bother me as I was happy to share, but sometimes it would go too far falling into the straight up forgetful category. We would go backpacking fairly often and it seems like there was always some key item he would forget. So this go around we were car camping in central CA bow hunting for pigs when we had just started hunting and didn't really know what we were doing. We were sitting in the front seat of his parent's truck heating up some Mountain House meals because it was cold and windy outside and we didn't have tents or warm enough clothing. He looks over at me and tells me he forgot his spork to eat his meal with, so annoyed but nicely I cleaned off mine with isopropyl alcohol and gave it to him so he could eat when I was done. I figure if that is the worst thing he forgot this time around then we should be ok. Later on we were getting ready to turn in for the night and he turns to me and says, "bro, I forgot my toothbrush". In hind sight I probably should have told him to pound sand or go without, but out came the isopropyl alcohol again. Needless to say, I didn't brush my teeth for the rest of the trip. Never did get him back for that one.
Maybe next year bring a dog tooth brush for him. Not a used one, but a doggy one none the less ;)

Actually you did the right or kind thing. A nice friend. I can be a bit of a _ _ _ _ ..... Well you know.

I never had a ton of friends so I tried to hold onto the ones I did have. That goes especially for those willing to drive out into the cold dark woods and chase animals that were much smarter than we were, carrying equipment more suited for a tree stand. To his credit, he did thank me years later for always planning and being prepared for the trips we had done. This of course was prompted by the tables turning when we had gone to different colleges and I wasn't able to do a Shasta ascent that he was excited about because of scheduling conflicts. He was in the hot seat and had to plan and organize everything, and took a couple of guys we had known in high school who I wasn't particularly close with. They ended up having to turn back due to the two guys not being prepared physically, mentally, and equipment wise. He is doing his residency in an ER so I just hope he has learned his lessons and is less forgetful now lol.