request info from those using 40MOA rails

fozzy

For those that have and use a 40MOA rail at what range is your zero and with what scope?

I'm nearing completion of my Edge and next on the list is a rail. I'll be using either the 8.5-25 Mk4 (75MOA) or a Nightforce 5.5-22 (100MOA).
With my 308 and a 25MOA rail and the 8.5-25 I still have lots of "down" adjustment. I'd rather have lots of elevation left to shoot way out. My 300WM was out of adjustment after about 1400 yards with a 25MOA and mild loads...so I'm thinking of running them both with 40 rails. Any thoughts?

Just put a NF 5.5 x 22 x 56 on a 700 rem with a #8 coutour barrel in 300 win. Used a 40 moa NF steel base and 1 1/8" high rings. Zeroed at 100 we are 10 moa off the bottom.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

I use 30 and 40moa base on my 308 setups. The big reason I use 40moa is because it take me 42moa to get my 308 from 100yds to 1k and this will put the reticle back in to the center of the scope give me the best image and the most critical distance. I use 30moa because some scopes will not let me get a 100yd zero when using a 40moa base.

Hope this helps! You can always call me if you need info. 916.670.1103.

Mike @ CSGW

Thanks guys, I just wanted to double check. I searched and read a bunch last night and there were a few that say they can't get a zero closer in than 500 with a 40 rail. Even with a 300 zero I'd be pleased as punch, I don't plan on playing close up games with this one anyway. :)

TMR and I have 40moa rails on both our Edges built on Rem700s and both NXS 5.5-22x50's zeroed at 100yds with about 10moa left in the scope for downtravel.

Well I had a chat with Richard Near again today and the 40MOA and a set of his rings will be here soon. :)

One of the last items on the list is glass to sit on top. I see that lots of guys are using the Nightforce scopes. I've never owned one but that may change soon. I really hate the fact that my Leupold Mk4 has a canted reticle. I always use the bubble level and try my best to ignore it. That and the nightforce has more elavation is nice as well as having a reticle calibrated in MOA instead of MIL only makes sense to me.
Thanks for the input folks!!:D

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.